chapter 14 Shock and Awe

Hidden Leaf Village Gate

Kakashi, Sakura, Sasuke and their client were waiting at the gate for Naruto to show up with five minutes to spare. Naruto walked up with a particular expression on his face. When Kakashi raised his eyebrow at him though, Naruto just gave a look that clearly said "I know something you don't."

"Do I even want to know what you did as a farewell gift for this village?" Kakashi asked chuckling.

Naruto's grin just got even wider while Sasuke and Sakura could only look in confusion.

Five minutes out the gate, they suddenly heard "NARUTOOOOOOO!"

Sakura and Sasuke flinched at the anger they could hear in that scream and how loud it was.

Kakashi just sighed while rolling his eye and turned to Naruto. "Ok, what did you do?"

Naruto burst into laughter and then said "I had a little run in with the Yamanaka heir on the way here. She wasn't really polite so I stuck a small explosive note on her back that would cover her in paint once I got far enough out of the village."

Kakashi just looked at him while Sakura burst out laughing while Sasuke wondered if this was the same guy who constantly was pushing him past his limits. Tazuna was wondering what he had gotten himself into but remained quiet. The rest of the day passed on quietly and they set up camp for the night.

The next day, the group was traveling in standard diamond formation with Naruto at point and Sakura and Sasuke flanking at right and left respectively, with Kakashi in the back.

Shortly after lunch time, Naruto noticed a puddle further along the road they were taking. Both he and his father noticed and both came to the same conclusion: ambush.

Naruto, seeing that Kakashi hadn't made a move yet, decided to better position himself as they began to pass the puddle. "Hey Sasuke, lets switch."

Sasuke didn't understand why they were changing formation but did so any way. While they were switching places, Naruto was debating with himself whether or not he should disengage his weights. He could both smell and sense by the chakra that their was two people waiting for the ambush but he could tell that they were chunnin level. Deciding that since he could disengage his weights at a rapid speed he would hold out on that. Turns out there wouldn't be a need.

Kakashi had taken five steps away from the puddle when two figures started to rise from it. As soon as they were completely out, they started to run towards Kakashi with a chain between them. Started being the key word because as one Kakashi and Naruto turned around and blurred behind the pair knocking the two nins out.

Kakashi looked to Tazuna and his gaze hardened as he said "I thought you said the most we could expect was bandits Tazuna. We'll talk in a minute." Turning to Naruto he said "Naruto if you would do the honors."

Naruto nodded and walked around to where one of their attackers' head was and kneeled down. While he was performing a few hand signs, Naruto thought to himself 'Those mental justus I found at the shinobi library sure come in handy.'

Naruto found himself in the ninja's mindscape and proceeded to look through the memories. He was surprised at what he learned and left to report what he found.

Outside, Sakura and Sasuke were wondering just what their teammate was doing when Naruto took a deep breath and stood back up. Turning to Kakashi, he jerked his head to the forest and Kakashi nodded. Turning to the rooks, Kakashi said "Stay here and keep an eye out, we'll be right back." He then proceeded to follow Naruto a short distance away.