Heritage

"Little lady!" My Mother cried out as she looked down at me. I giggled as I held her white bed sheets and her necklace up to my chest in my small hands. I jumped off of the bed and grabbed a colorful sippy cup from the top of a dresser. I took deep breaths as I gulped the juice before running away from my Mother's hands. My Mother watched me with a smile as she got up and scooped me in her arms. "Today is the day, little lady." She joked and touched my belly. I giggled as I thrashed in her arms.

"What today?" I asked and looked up to her radiant smile.

"Today, we will go to your Father." She cooed and kissed my cheek, "Today, we leave our pack and start our own. Oh Morana, I've been dreaming of this day, and I finally decided. The rogues aren't my problem." She softly sang and rubbed her nose against mine. I giggled and lifted my arms.

It took seconds for the dream to change. I was sitting on a chair at a picnic table. Beside me was my Uncle and my Mother, and they were fighting. My Uncle had always been a kind man, but he disliked me. I lowered my head when I was around him, and that got my Mother mad. His eyes glared at me now as she raised her voice, "Kevin, I have the right to live my life! You can't make me stay here!" My Mother cried as she pushed a hand out to me when I watched a butterfly flap around my Uncle Kevin. Uncle Kevin smacked the butterfly down as he growled.

"Serena, you will stay in the pack," He demanded.

"I don't want to stay in this pack." She shot back and shook her head, "You don't need me, you are a fine wolf. Morana and I are-"

"Of course, it's her fault isn't it?" He said, "Want to run away and find her Father?"

"Kevin, stop-"

"Who is her Father, Serena? I have a right to know!" He shouted. My Mother took a step back as he grabbed her arm, "You will stay here, or you die for being a traitor." He said through his teeth. My Mother yanked her arm away from his grasp and pushed my Uncle down. Her foot landed on his chest as she leaned down.

"Don't act out of line, Alpha." She taunted as the tip of her toe pushed against his neck, "I'm stronger than you. I have more power than you, and I'm supposed to be the leader of this pack."

"Your Mate is one of the Grand Alpha sons, isn't he?" Uncle Kevin said, my Mother shook her head as she looked at him, "Because, Morana has blue eyes-" He accused.

"Say another word." My Mother warned as her fingertips turned to claws that rested against his neck, "Say another word out loud and I will kill you."

"Are you stupid?" Uncle growled as he smacked her hand away, "You fucking who-" My Mother smacked him before he could finish his sentence his face grew hot as he looked over to me, "She will always have a target on her back."

"And I will always move it out of the way." My Mother said as she looked back at me. She kissed my lips, "Go play sweetie, Uncle Kevin and Mommy need to talk really quickly okay."

"Okay Mommy." I said and went to look at the flowers.

Behind me I could hear their voices rise, but in front of me I could see glowing eyes that called my name.

My heart was racing as I forced my eyes open, I know how that dream ended. I know how she died, I knew it all. My hand reached for my beating chest, but someone beat me to it. A large hand rested against my heart as a face fell on my neck, "Did you have a nightmare?" Aeron asked softly. His body was pressed against mine. Instantly I felt my heart slow down as I looked up and inhaled. I had no idea what time it was, but the room was still dark as I shook my head.