barista; i.ny

Female Reader (Can be neutral with pronoun changes)

Nayeon very nearly screamed when her gaze met yours through the glass window.

The afternoon sunlight fell across your face, enhancing the mesmerizing hue of your eyes. A lopsided smile was plastered on your lips, your laid-back posture exuding a distinctive friendly aura. Blushing madly, Nayeon inhaled sharply and spun around, hoping that you didn't see her - which you definitely did- when Jeongyeon gripped her harshly by the shoulders and forced her to face you.

"The hell are you doing? Get in there and do what Nayeon does best."

"What do I do best?" Nayeon demanded, crossing her arms and struggling not to look at you.

"Flirt. Hurry up, I didn't come here just to see you give up!"

"But Jeongie," Nayeon whined, looking very much like a tantrum throwing toddler. "What if she doesn't like me? I'm too boring and annoying and ugly for someone like her-"

"Ugly?" Jeongyeon repeated incredulously. "Who are you and what did you do to Nayeon?!"

The older girl glared, afterward sighing in defeat. Jeongyeon felt bad, so she put a hand on her friend's shoulder. "Hey, I was kidding. I'm sure she'd love to hang out with you. You're - ugh, I can't believe I'm saying this - fun."

Beaming, Nayeon threw her arms around Jeongyeon. "Awww, you're so sweet, Jeongie," she cooed. The taller girl pushed her away and scowled.

"Okay, okay. Now get in there and don't fuck this up, Im Nayeon."

Nayeon nearly fainted when you spoke.

You watched as the girl you'd been watching finally entered your little coffee shop. Making your way around the counter, you greeted them in a friendly manner.

Nayeon's heart started beating erratically once she was right in front of you. It seemed as if her heart wanted to jump out of her chest and come to you instead, so she took a deep breath to compose herself. Inside, she was screaming profanities. You looked so approachable, it made complete sense on why you worked in a café. The warmth in your eyes was welcoming, like a freshly baked piece of bread. Your presence was energizing like a hot cup of caffeine-filled coffee. Your uniform - a white button-up with beige pants and a brown apron - only accentuated your features.

The scent of freshly brewed coffee lingered around you. And when you spoke - Oh, gosh, Nayeon thought. Save me.

Your voice was as smooth as honey, like music entering Nayeon's ears. She started wondering how there could be a person as perfect as you.

"Hey!" You greeted, wiping your hands on your apron. "I was waiting for you. My shift ends in about 10 minutes, though, so do you want something before then?"

Jeongyeon eyed the chocolate croissants on the display. "I'll take a couple of that."

Chuckling, you nodded. "I see you've found the chocolate croissants. One of our best-sellers, actually. Good taste!"

Nayeon watched as you assisted Jeongyeon, who'd pretty much bought one of every pastry your shop had to offer. A dreamy expression overtook her face, interrupted only when Jeongyeon walked past, clutching a paper bag and munching on a croissant. "Bye, Nayeon! You can handle this, you're a big girl. I'm gonna go bring these home."

Before Nayeon could protest, Jeongyeon ran out the door. She didn't want you to think she'd decided to ditch you, so she simply scoffed and rolled her eyes.

You'd finished serving the last customers. The clock had struck five, meaning it was time for your break. You flipped the sign on the door and took a seat before Nayeon. "So," you started, nervously playing with your fingers, "first impression?"

For some reason, Nayeon found this funny. She laughed, causing you to crack a smile. "I like you already," she said.

Maybe a bit of the backstory. Nayeon had gone on an online dating app, mostly for fun, but also because she was curious about what she'd find. She found you, swiped, and the two of you started talking. Eventually, it became a mutual liking, and today was when you two had decided to meet-up face to face.

Somehow she'd formed a crush on you through the messages you sent, always making sure she was alright and healthy. And now that she'd seen you in real life, it just gave her more reasons to like you.

You, on the other hand, felt the same way. You would never have expected to start liking someone online, but anything was possible. You'd gone on a dating app because, with your flexible and always-changing life, you wanted something permanent.

"Do you, maybe, want to go on a date sometime?" you asked timidly, avoiding her eyes. She found it cute how you had both a shy and confident side. "I'd like to take things slow, get to know each other a little better, before we do anything more serious. Is that alright with you?"

Beaming, Nayeon agreed. She was willing to wait for someone like you, excited for the memories she hoped you'd spend together.

And when you reached across the table and held her hand, she had a lot of hope for her future.