Chapter 58

Daisy POV

Starting physical therapy was incredibly challenging. I would easily become frustrated, but my therapist and Dominic would always cheer me on.

I kept telling Dominic that he didn't have to stay with me, but he never listened. He would only leave for short periods, always ensuring someone was with me during his absence.

Lily also remained by my side, visiting me at the hospital after her lesson, chauffeured by Zayden.

"I'm still mad at him, Daisy," Lily said as she sat on the bed.

"But he's your brother, Lily," I reminded her gently.

"I don't care. He was going to marry the meanie who hurt you, even after I told him she made you leave," she replied. Dominic tried apologizing to Lily, but she couldn't seem to forgive him, and he couldn't reveal the whole truth to her either.

"I know, Lily. She fooled him, but now he knows the truth. You should try to forgive him," I suggested.

"Have you forgiven him?" Lily asked, her eyes searching mine.

Have I forgiven him? That's a difficult question to answer. "Lily, he's your brother, and your niece and nephew wouldn't want you to be upset with him," I deflected, changing the subject.

"I'll try," she sighed. "Speaking of the babies, why haven't you named them yet?" she asked curiously.

"I have a few names in mind, but I can't decide," I replied.

"Why not?" she inquired.

"I'm not sure," I lied.

The truth was, I felt guilty. I couldn't even hold my babies, and it made me feel like the worst mother in the world. During my pregnancy, I always believed I would know their names the moment I held them. To everyone's surprise, I had twins, but without being able to hold them, I didn't want to make a hasty decision.

A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts, and I looked up to see Dominic entering.

"Lily, it's time to go home," he said.

"Okay," she whispered, hugging me tightly before giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"Goodbye, Lily," I said with a smile.

"Bye, Daisy. I'll be back tomorrow to see you and the babies," she promised.

"I'll see you tomorrow," I replied, watching her walk toward the door.

But before she left, she whispered as she walked out the door, "Bye, Dominic," catching him off guard.

"It seems she's finally talking to me again," Dominic said as he settled into the chair beside the bed.

"Guess so," I replied, feeling a glimmer of hope.

"I'm pretty sure you had something to do with it," he said, grinning.

"Not really," I brushed it off.

"I didn't mean to intrude, but I overheard Lily asking about our kids' names. You should really pick a name for them, don't you think?" he asked.

I sighed and said, "I know, it's just..."

"Just what?" he probed.

"It's just... I know it may not be a big deal to many people, but naming my children is important to me. My mom once told me that a name is one of the first gifts a parent gives to their child. It's a way to mark our place in the world. She named me Daisy the moment she first held me because she believed I would always be a delicate flower, and the world needed someone like me. So, you see, it's significant to me," I explained.

Dominic nodded, acknowledging the depth of my sentiment. "I completely understand. Your mom was a wise woman," he said before pausing and standing up. "I'll be right back," he declared as he left the room.

A few minutes later, Dominic returned with the nurses carrying our kids. "What's going on?" I asked, puzzled.

"Well, it occurred to me that you haven't held our kids yet. They've only been placed next to you. I asked the nurses if they could assist you in holding them. Maybe then you can finally decide on their names," he explained, a hint of excitement in his voice.

"How did you..." I began, wondering how Dominic knew this. Did he read my mind?

He simply winked at me, and one of the nurses helped me cradle my daughter. They adjusted the bed so I was in a semi-sitting position, and the nurse guided my arms, placing my daughter in them. Tears welled up in my eyes as I looked down at her.

"Hailey," I whispered, overcome with emotion.

Dominic beamed and said, "It's perfect. She carries her grandmother's name. Your mother would be so happy."

"You're right. She would have loved to meet her granddaughter," I responded, my heart swelling with bittersweet joy.

The nurse took Hailey away, and then the other nurse placed my son in my arms. Once again, tears streamed down my face as I cradled my son. "Matteo," I murmured as I gazed at him lovingly.

"Matteo, just like my..." Dominic began, but I finished his sentence.

"Father," I nodded, a smile playing on my lips.

The nurses held both of my children up to me, and I kissed each of them tenderly. Then, they adjusted the bed once more and left the room with my precious babies.

"Their names are perfect," Dominic declared, his voice filled with pride.

"Why didn't you want any say in their names?" I asked, curiosity tugging at me.

"Because I wasn't there for you throughout your pregnancy. I wasn't by your side, helping as our kids grew inside of you. You were there for them, and I wasn't. Besides, you did an incredible job naming them. Our parents would be overjoyed," he explained, his words tugging at my heart.

"Dominic, I..." I began, but a knock on the door interrupted me.

A nurse entered and announced, "Time for your medication." I sighed; it seemed these nurses had terrible timing. She administered the medication, and before I knew it, I drifted off to sleep.