Chapter 3

Daisy POV

I woke up with a pounding headache, struggling to open my eyes. I looked around the dimly lit room, and it hit me - I was in a basement. Panic set in as I noticed the small table and two chairs, one of which I was tied to. It looked like a torture chamber.

Before I could even think about how I got there, the door opened, and the same scary-looking man from before stepped in. "Oh good, you're finally up. The boss has been wanting to talk to you," he said with a menacing grin.

I tried to steady my voice. "Where's Lily?" I asked, my heart racing.

The man struck me in the face, causing my head to snap back. "Did I say you could talk?" he snarled.

My vision blurred from the pain, and I heard him walk away up the stairs. I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself down. When I was younger, I always thought I was going to die in the hands of my dad, but I didn't expect it to end like this. I was worried sick about Lily, the only person I cared about in this world.

The sound of footsteps echoed in the room, and I heard two men approaching. One of them was the same scary guy, but the other one was a stranger. He walked towards me, and I couldn't help but stare. He was wearing a black suit, and my God, he looked gorgeous. He had piercing gray eyes that seemed to look right past me, and he exuded confidence and power.

He looked at me with a curious expression, and I felt myself shrink under his gaze. "Rigo, leave us," he said, and the man quickly left the room.

The stranger sat down in front of me and leaned in, his eyes still fixed on mine. "Tell me who you are," he said, his voice calm and even.

"I'm Daisy," I replied, trying to hide my fear.

He continued to stare at me with his intense eyes. "Tell me, Daisy, how did you come across Lily?" he asked.

I took a deep breath and explained everything to him. "I was walking home from work, and I found her in the bushes. She looked scared. I asked her if she was hurt, and she said she wasn't, so I took her to get something to eat and then I tried helping her by looking for her brother."

The stranger ignored my question about Lily's whereabouts and leaned back in his chair. "You know my men told me you were willing to die for that little girl. Is it true? Are you willing to die for her?" he asked.

I didn't even hesitate. "If it means Lily is going to be okay, then yes," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady.

He looked at me in surprise, and I wondered if I had made a mistake. "Tell me why would you die for someone you don't know? Aren't you scared of dying?" he asked, his eyes boring into mine.

"No, I'm not scared. If by killing me an innocent little girl gets to live, then there's no reason to be scared," I said, hoping to convince him.

He suddenly pulled out a gun and placed it on my neck. I didn't flinch or even blink. "Tell me, are you afraid now?" he asked, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"No," I said, ready to accept my fate.

But he surprised me by cutting the restraints around my wrists instead. I opened my eyes to see him standing in front of me again. "Daisy, let me introduce myself. My name is Dominic Valentino, and I am Lily's brother," he said.

I was slightly relieved knowing he was Lily's brother. "So Lily is ok?" I asked.

"Yes, Lily is ok," he replied, his voice still as cold as ever. "Daisy, I'm going to be frank with you. I don't understand why you did what you did for my sister. I don't understand how you got her to talk to you. I am literally the only person she feels comfortable around. I am the only person she talks to ever since our parents died. So the fact that she talked to you and that you protected her with your life is very surprising to me," he continued.

I shifted in my seat, feeling the weight of his words. He didn't seem to be angry, but his tone was still very pointed. "I wouldn't usually do this, but I am prepared to make you an offer. You are completely under qualified and unprepared," he said, his eyes piercing into mine. "However, nobody has been able to connect with my sister before, aside from me. So here is the offer. You can work for me as a nanny, or you can die. The choice is up to yours," he said, his voice cold and unyielding.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Was he really giving me an ultimatum like this? I had never been in this type of situation before, and I didn't know how to react. I looked up at him, trying to read his expression, but he was unreadable. "So, do you accept?" he asked, his eyes never leaving mine.

I took a deep breath and thought about my options. I could refuse and try to run, but that seemed like a death sentence. Or I could accept and see where this led me. I didn't know what the future held, but I knew that I wanted to protect Lily, and if working for this man was the only way to do that, then I would do it. "I do," I said, trying to sound confident, even though I felt anything but.

"Good," he said, standing up and walking over to me. "Follow me."