Chapter 57

Daisy POV

The following morning, as the sunlight filtered through the window, I awoke to find Dominic sleeping peacefully on the nearby sofa. I mustered all my strength, trying to move my arms and legs, but they remained unresponsive. The weight of my immobility settled upon me, and a deep sense of helplessness washed over me. How would I ever be able to care for my newborn babies in this state?

Lost in my despair, I didn't notice when Dominic stirred awake. His voice broke through my thoughts, gently asking, "Daisy, how are you feeling?"

"Same as yesterday," I whispered, my voice barely audible, afraid that the words might trigger an avalanche of tears.

A sigh escaped Dominic's lips, and he rose from the sofa to sit by my side, taking my hand in his. Although I couldn't feel the warmth of his touch, his presence provided a glimmer of comfort. "Daisy, I promise you that I will search for the best doctors, explore every possibility, and do everything in my power to help you overcome this," he said with determination.

His words touched me, but I couldn't bear the thought of burdening him with my struggles. "You don't have to go through all that trouble, Dominic. The doctor made it clear yesterday that the chances of my recovery are slim. I don't want to be a burden to anyone, especially not to you. You just feel guilty about what happened, but it's not your fault, " I replied, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Daisy, please listen to me," Dominic interjected, his voice filled with earnestness. "You are not a burden to me, nor will you ever be. Despite the mistakes I've made in the past, I love you. I want to be here for you, to help you through this. It's not guilt that drives me—it's love." He paused and then asked "Daisy do you still love me?".

My gaze shifted away from Dominic's unwavering eyes. "It doesn't matter how I feel," I whispered, my voice tinged with sadness.

Just as the weight of the conversation threatened to engulf us, a knock on the door diverted our attention. The door swung open to reveal Anthony standing there, concern and relief etched on his face.

"Anthony!" I exclaimed, a rush of emotions flooding through me at the sight of him.

He quickly approached, maintaining a careful distance, mindful of my fragile condition. "Daisy, I've been so worried about you. How are you feeling?" he asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

"I'm... I'm okay," I admitted, my voice trembling with vulnerability.

Dominic cleared his throat, breaking the moment. "I'll give you two some time alone. But I'll be right outside," he said, stepping away to allow Anthony to take a seat beside me.

As the door closed, Anthony settled into the chair, his eyes filled with sincerity. "Daisy, I want you to know that I'm here for you. Whatever you need, I'll do my best to support you," he said, determination lacing his words.

"Thank you, Anthony," I replied, a hint of gratitude in my voice.

Anthony stayed with me throughout the morning. We shared stories, and he even had the chance to meet my precious babies. He confessed to feeling guilty about what had transpired, but I reassured him that it wasn't his fault.

"It wasn't anyone's fault, Anthony. Isabella was the one who pushed me down the stairs," I said, seeking to ease his burden.

"I know, but I should have been there for you. Dominic offered me my old job back, and this time, I took it," he admitted, a mix of regret and determination in his eyes.

Surprised, I asked, "Why would you do that?"

"To protect you and your kids," he replied. "I wasn't there when it happened, but now I will be. It's the only way I can make sure you all are safe."

"But, Anthony..." I tried to protest.

"Daisy, I'm doing this because I want to. After what happened to my family, you gave me a reason to live again. When Dominic found us, I felt like a failure. I thought I had let you down. I didn't take the job back at that time because I believed you would be better off with Dominic. But I realized how much I missed you. It may sound silly, but when I look at you, I see you as my daughter," he revealed, a flicker of emotion in his voice.

His words touched my heart deeply, and a genuine smile formed on my lips. "It's not silly at all, Anthony, because I look at you like a father," I said, embracing the newfound bond between us.

Just as our conversation settled into a comforting silence, the door creaked open once more. This time, Lily and Zayden entered the room, followed closely by Dominic. Lily's eyes were red and puffy, as she entered the room.

"Daisy!" Lily exclaimed, rushing to my side and she hugged me.

"Be careful Lily" Dominic said.

"It's okay, Dominic," I replied as I looked down at Lily. "Thank you for coming to see me, Lily," I said, smiling at her.

Lily's concern was palpable as she spoke, her words laden with worry. "Daisy, are you okay? I knew you shouldn't have left with that meanie," she said, her protective instincts in full display.

"I'm okay, Lily. I had an accident, but I hope to be okay soon. I need you to be strong, though. Your niece and nephew need you to be strong and happy for them," I replied, wanting to shield her from unnecessary worries.

"I saw the babies through the window. I'm an auntie now," she said, a smile gracing her face. "I promise to be strong and happy for them."

The nurse brought the babies into the room, and one by one, they all took turns holding them, cherishing the precious moments. I experienced a mix of happiness and sorrow—grateful that my babies were surrounded by love, yet acutely aware of my physical limitations that prevented me from offering the same affection by holding them myself.

Later that day, everyone bid their farewells, leaving only Dominic and me in the room. As if on cue, the doctor returned. He approached my bed, his eyes reflecting hope and encouragement.

"Daisy, we've received the results of your tests," he said, his voice carrying a mix of reassurance and anticipation. "While we still don't know the full extent of your injuries, we're going to start you on physical therapy tomorrow. Our goal is to regain as much mobility as possible."

"Alright. Thank you, doctor, " I replied. He wrote a few things down and my chart and exited the room.

With the doctor's departure, Dominic approached my bedside, his eyes shining with pride and determination. "Daisy, you're incredibly strong. I'll be here every step of the way, cheering you on," he said, his voice unwavering with support.

A smile spread across my face, and for the first time since the incident, I felt a glimmer hope.