Chapter 1

Daisy POV

I woke up to the sound of my alarm at 5 am. I always had to wake up early so I could make it to work on time. I had three fast food jobs that I hated, but unfortunately, not having finished high school made it impossible for me to find a better job.

As I got dressed, I tried not to make too much noise so I wouldn't wake up my roommates. I had to walk to work since I couldn't afford public transportation. I put my hands in my pockets and made my way to my first job.

After working two of my jobs, I was exhausted. I checked the clock and saw that it was only 6 pm, which meant I had gotten off work early. I was glad because I didn't like walking home at night. I had been mugged twice and I tried my best to take care of myself, but living in a dangerous neighborhood made it difficult.

As I walked through the park, I remembered how much fun my mom and I would have on the weekends whenever she would take me to the park. Suddenly, I saw something move in some hidden bushes. Normally, I would walk away, but something told me to go see what it was.

I walked around the bush and saw a little girl who looked like she was around five years old and looked extremely scared. "Hi sweetheart, are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?" I asked her, but she shook her head. "Are you here by yourself?" I asked her, but she didn't respond. I took a step towards her, and she jumped. I put my hands up. "I'm not going to hurt you. I want to help you. Is it okay if I walk towards you? If you don't want me to, I'll stay right here," I said.

She nodded, so I walked towards her and kneeled down next to her. "Can you tell me your name?" I asked her.

"Lily," she whispered. I looked into her green eyes and could tell she was scared.

"My name is Daisy. Hey, do you know what that means?" I asked her, and she shook her head. "That means we're flower buddies. Put it there, flower buddy," I said, extending my hand to her, and she gave me a high five. I got her to smile. "Lily, are you hurt anywhere?" She shook her head again. "Do you know where your mommy or daddy are?" I asked her.

"I don't have a mommy or daddy," she whispered.

My heart broke for her. "Do you have a brother or sister?" I asked her, and she nodded. "By any chance, do you know their phone number so I can call them?" I asked her.

"I only have a brother, but I don't know where he is, and I don't know his number," she said, looking down.

"It's okay, Lily. I'll help you find your brother. Is that okay with you?" I asked her. She looked up at me and nodded. I stood up and held out my hand, and she grabbed it. "Are you hungry, Lily? There's a McDonald's two blocks away." I asked her, and she nodded. "Okay, let's go."

As we walked, I asked her some more questions. "Lily, how did you end up in the park all by yourself?" I asked her. She just shook her head. "That's okay. We'll figure it out," I assured her. "What does your brother look like?"

"He has brown hair and gray eyes," she said as we walked to McDonald's.