Chapter 48

Daisy POV

I was startled awake by someone calling my name. Blinking my eyes open, I found myself face to face with a smiling Zayden.

"Zayden," I greeted him, a smile forming on my lips.

Slowly, I stood up and embraced him in a hug. "Daisy, I'm so glad you're back," he expressed, his joy evident. Then his gaze shifted downward. "And you're so big," he added with a chuckle.

"Thanks, Zayden," I responded with a touch of sarcasm.

"No, I don't mean it in a bad way. You're just really pregnant," he clarified.

"I definitely am. I wasn't expecting to see you. Dominic said you would be here in a couple of days," I explained.

"I was, but I finished early, so I decided to get here as soon as possible to see you," he shared.

"Thanks, Zayden," I smiled gratefully.

He helped me sit down and then asked, "So, how are you doing?"

"As well as I can," I replied, my voice reflecting the challenges I faced.

"I completely understand, Daisy. During all this time, Dominic was a complete asshole. I couldn't stand being in the same room as him. He was literally going insane. That still doesn't justify what he did, though. I'm really sorry you had to live through all of that, Daisy," he confessed, guilt evident on his face.

"It wasn't your fault, Zayden," I assured him.

"I know, but still, I should have done more. I didn't know Dominic was going to send you back to your father. If I had known, I would have done everything in my power to stop him," he admitted remorsefully.

"What's done is done, Zayden," I sighed, accepting the past.

"I know, Daisy, I know. What Dominic did is unforgivable. I don't blame you if you're still mad at him. Just know he is sorry for everything he did to you. When he found out the truth, he literally tore this house apart. I had to bring in contractors to fix all the damage. He didn't know how to cope with the guilt he was feeling. He went into bars and picked fights just so people could beat him to a pulp," Zayden revealed.

I looked up at Zayden, unsure of what to say. "I wish I could forgive him, Zayden, I really do. But I just can't. He never gave me a chance to explain. I showed him just how much I loved him, yet he never gave me a chance. It's not about what he did; what hurt me the most was that he didn't believe me. He never gave me a chance," I confessed, tears streaming down my face.

"I know, Daisy. I know," Zayden consoled me, offering a small hug.

Just then, Lily came running downstairs, her voice filled with excitement.

"Zayden!" she exclaimed, rushing over to give him a hug, which he reciprocated warmly.

"Hey, kiddo. How are you doing?" he asked her, his affection for my sister evident.

"A lot better, especially since Daisy is back, and I'm going to be an auntie soon," Lily beamed with joy.

"I know. I'm excited to become an uncle," Zayden replied, sharing in her excitement.

Then Lily turned to me. "Daisy, can we go for a walk in the garden?" she requested.

"Sure," I replied, slowly getting up from my seat.

"Are you sure you're up for a walk? You look a bit tired," Zayden inquired, concern on his face.

"I'm fine. In fact, why don't you come with us?" I suggested, wanting his company.

"Yeah, Uncle Zayden, you should come with us," Lily chimed in, her eyes filled with eagerness.

"Sure, I would love to come. Ladies, please," Zayden graciously accepted, extending his arms for us. Lily and I laughed, linking our arms with his, and together, we made our way outside, ready for a peaceful stroll in the garden.

As we walked, Zayden continued to engage us in conversation, sharing stories, and making us laugh. It felt comforting to have him by my side, he was like a brother that I never had and was grateful to have him by my side.