Chapter 22

Finally, all the first-years were sorted. Dumbledore stood up to begin his speech. Oh no, I just wanna eat! Y/N thought impatiently.

"Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!" Dumbledore exclaimed, "thank you!"

The whole hall was silent for a while. Then they applauded, some laughing. Y/N sighed in relief. At least it wasn't a long, boring speech. Dumbledore held out his arms, and the empty dishes in front of her were now piled with food. There was roast beef, roast chicken, pork and lamb chops, sausages, bacon and steak, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, fries, Yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots, gravy, ketchup and strangely, mint humbugs. Y/N didn't even have time to react before Kyojuro grabbed the ladle of a pot filled with gravy, piled some into his plate, and began eating.

"Umai! Umai!" he boomed, startling those around him, including Y/N. She snapped into action and took a spoonful of boiled potatoes.

"That does look delicious," a sad voice said behind her. Y/N turned around.

"Can't you--oh." She realized that a ghost in a ruff and tights was talking to her. The ghost hadn't a chance to introduce himself before Sirius butted in.

"Oh! Reg told me about you! You're Nearly Headless Nick!" Sirius cried. Nick looked extremely offended.

" I would prefer if you called me Sir Nicholas de Mi-" Nick started.

"Why are you nearly headless?" Kyojuro asked. Y/N was quite impressed at how he managed to speak so clearly despite having his mouth stuffed with food.

Nick looked even more irritable now. Y/N caught him whispering, " insensitive imps" to himself before he grabbed his left ear and pulled. His head swung off his neck and fell onto his shoulder. They gasped. Someone had obviously tried to behead him, but had not done it properly.

Nick looked pleased at their shocked reactions. He swung his head back and decided to change the subject. 

"So--new Gryffindors! I hope you're going to help us win the House Championship this year? If not, it'll be the seventh year we're out of the running. Slytherin have won the past few house cups, the Bloody Baron is becoming almost unbearable--he's the Slytherin ghost." Nick pointed to the Slytherin table, where a moody ghost was sitting. He had blank staring eyes, a gaunt face and his robes were stained with silver blood. He was sitting right behind Draco, who didn't look too happy with the seating arrangement.

"How did he get covered in blood, anyway?" Kyojuro asked as he munched on a sausage roll.

"I've never asked," Nick replied delicately.