Untitled Part 40

Shaun was the last one to sit down to eat.

"I was in that man's room last night. The thing he was using looks like a small pocket watch with directions on it."

"But what makes it able to track?" Paddy asked.

"He had the object sitting on a box with vials of blood."

"Blood?" We said.

"Yes I was only able to open three of them. I put a drop of each on my arm." Shaun held his arm out to me. I could smell vampire, werewolf and the third one blended in with Shaun's scent. It must have been a shifter's blood.

I told them what they were.

"How could they gather that many?" Shannon asked.

"I do not know but if they follow us again we will find out." Shaun said with determination.

"All right. Lets go home."

We stopped at the first Fort again. This time we stayed for a couple of days. Darin was interested some of the local native items. This took a lot of negotiating with our furs. Darin finally had what he wanted a tepee.

We packed it carefully in one of the wagons. Darin was very proud. It only cost him ten bears skins. We left Fort Cataraqui the next day.

We took our time traveling back home Shaun wanted to make sure we were not leading those two men back there.

After we past Fort Levis we travelled one more day then stayed in a small clearing along the river. Melissa and Darin laid out in the sun while the rest of us hunted and fished. They helped with the meal preparation but Colleen told them to rest as much as they could before we started moving again.

Two days later Marcel and Benoit walked into our camp.

"Aw! Oh my!" Marcel stammered.

"It looks like you are waiting for us." Benoit observed.

"Yes we are." Shaun said.

"But why?" Marcel asked nervously.

"We would like to know how you are following us?" Shaun said sternly.

"It is a compass I am using. We take a reading then we stay on that heading." Marcel explained.

"I understand but you keep showing up behind us."

"Just luck I guess." Marcel said shrugging his shoulders.

"It is almost nightfall you may share our fire tonight if you wish?"

"Thank you that is most kind of you." Benoit said.

"Yes thank you ..." Marcel acknowledged.

We had already made a large meal Paddy and Quinn had been watching for them.

I served everyone a plate of food then sat down beside Paddy. They watched us eat before they started on their food.

"This is absolutely mouth watering." Benoit said. "What is it?"

"It is deer." Colleen said.

"How do you make it so flavourful?" Benoit asked.

"We add herbs and spices to it."

"Mon Dieu! I have never tasted anything this good before."

"I am glad you like it." Colleen said.

The two of them could not eat enough. They were becoming rude.

"What is wrong with you? You are very rude men." Melissa told them.

"I am terribly sorry for being rude but this meal is delicious." Benoit said.