Untitled Part 15

By doing this he reduced his force by a third. The barracks were no longer over crowded and his food supply would stretch out for the winter.

We trained some of the local women in how to take care of the patients. We wanted to go home too.

Scott was already home in the hospital. It was the happiest we have ever seen him.

Rachelle stayed with him mainly to keep an eye on Rufus.

The Council would understand Scott's desire to stay where he was needed. There was not much need for a healer in the cave.

The French Army had the same idea. Mariela, Constantin and Elder Camarillo were home a few weeks before us.

"Where is my Guard Kylie?" Elder Camarillo asked me when he entered the main square.

"He is staying at the hospital taking care of his patients." I told him.

"Hospital? Where?" Elder Camarillo asked excitedly.

"On the Southside of the shanty town. It is the first log barracks."

"Thank you Kylie." He dashed out of the cave.

"Do you think he missed Scott or was excited about the hospital?" Paddy whispered.

"I think both." I nodded.

We bowed to the Council.

"Welcome back, I take it you are here until spring also?" Councilman Klaus asked.

"Yes Sir." Paddy said.

"Good. We will be able to have a more detailed report from all of you."

"Yes Sir."

"Thank you. You may continue."

"Sir." We saluted him.

We went to our quarters and settled in. Missy and Councilwoman Cassie were waiting for us. We bowed to the Councilwoman then hugged her.

"It seems I have not seen you in years." She hugged me tighter.

"I missed you too."

We turned to Quinn. He was hugging Missy. She was purring loudly.

Paddy embraced his daughter and I.

We were interrupted by the door swinging open and John rushing in.

"You are back." He wrapped himself around us.

John made a large meal for us.

We sat at the table talking about the last eight months. Paddy told them about the battles they had been in.

"Momma what did you do?" Councilwoman Cassie asked.

"I helped Scott take care of the wounded soldiers." I told her.

"Was that exciting Grandma?" Missy asked shyly.

"Yes Missy I liked taking care of people."

"You are very good at it Grandma." She purred.

"Yes you are." Councilwoman Cassie said giving me a big hug and kiss.

Everyone finished eating.

"Momma do you need to feed?" John asked.

"No, I am all right. I fed a few days a go."

"Oh? Are you sure?" He looked at me.

"Yes I am sure. Why?"

"It is just that you were feeding every second day before you left."

"Mom did not tell you?" Quinn said.

"Tell me what?" John looked confused.

"When she was hit by lightning she went back to normal. All her senses went back to the way they were before she was burned. Even her feeding."

"Really Mom?" Councilwoman Cassie asked. "I did not know either." She glanced at John.

"We left for the Army a short time later. We did not have a chance to tell you. We were all pretty busy preparing for our departure." Paddy told them.

"Well this is good news." Missy said smiling.

"Yes it is Missy." Quinn said giving her a hug.

"If you do not want to feed would you like to go for a walk?" John asked.

"Yes I would."

We went for a walk around the cave then outside walking along the bottom of the hills. John, Missy and Councilwoman Cassie told us about the mortals living along the riverbank. "The Council has asked that we keep an eye out for them." John told us.

"Most are from the British Empire but there is a few from France. They do not want any fighting so close to the cave."

"I am sure they do not. The smell of blood would be major concern." Paddy said.

"How are they doing?" Quinn asked pointing towards the river.

"So far they keep to themselves."

"Good." Quinn nodded.

"Mom how are you doing working in the hospital around all that blood?" Councilwoman Cassie asked.

"I do what I normally do. I stop breathing." They laughed. "Actually we all do it."

"That is good. I guess it would not look good if everyone was feeding off your patients." John said laughing.

I stopped and started sniffing. There was a strange scent in the air. Everyone stopped to look at me.

"What is it Kylie?" Paddy said coming back to me.

"There is a strange ... odour here." I turned to find the direction it was coming from. Everyone spread out to look. Paddy stayed with me.

"Can you describe it?" Paddy whispered.

"It has a sweet sickly smell almost like death but not quite."

"I do not smell it." Paddy said sniffing.

I closed my eyes and turned slowly. I could smell everything but that smell. It was gone. When I opened my eyes everyone was standing around me.

They had sad faces. "We could not find it Mom."

"It is all right. It is gone now."

We continued our walk. The air smelled so clean with the freshly fallen snow. We returned to the cave Councilmen Klaus and Carlos were talking in the square.

"Ah just the people we wanted to see. Come tell us about your war experiences." Councilman Klaus motioned towards their Chamber.

"Of course Sir." Paddy led the way.

We stood in the chamber waiting for the Council members to sit down.

"I think it is only right for the Ladies to go first Kylie?" Councilman Klaus asked.

"Well Sir I did not do any fighting. I was in the hospital helping Scott. I only fought when we were teaching the British Officers how to fight with a sword."

"It must have been difficult for you with all that blood." He asked.

"No Sir. I just stopped breathing."

The rest of my family snickered. "We had this conversation earlier."

"Oh I see." He smiled. "Has it been interesting for you?"

"Yes Sir it still amazes me how much damage a mortal body can take and still survive."

He nodded. "Thank you Kylie."

"Paddy I am sure you have some interesting stories?"

"Yes Sir." Paddy told them about all the battles and scouting trips he had done. We listened to Quinn's accounts then we returned to our quarters.

"Papa you were very brave." Missy whispered to Quinn.

"You think so Missy."