Untitled Part 10

The two Commanders could not come to an agreement. Paddy was upset. He stomped off. I knew he was only doing that for show.

Later that night the three of them came back to the French camp. They had caught five caribou for them.

We watched them walk into the center of the camp. Quinn opened the wooden cell, letting us out then Paddy and Cory put the caribou inside the cell.

We were outside the French campground seconds later.

They brought us back to the caribou herd to feed. Our sentries were surprised when they saw us walking from the French campground.

"How did you get out?" Major Robertson asked.

"We traded them for some caribou." Paddy told him.

We continued walking to our tents. Rachelle and Samantha went into the hospital tent to let Scott know we were back.

Paddy held me tightly in his arms. We kissed each other passionately. Our short separation brought back memories of the longer one.

Commander Comerford was overjoyed when he saw us the next morning.

"I will let you do the negotiating next time Private." He told Paddy.

"Sir I did not talk to anyone. We just opened the cell letting the Ladies out and putting in the caribou then we walked out of their camp."

"Amazing." The Commander smiled. "Well I am glad they are back safe and sound."

"So are we Sir."

The Commander had the entire post assemble on the main practice square.

"Men! Tomorrow we leave for warmer climate in the Southwest. Today you are to pack up your gear and tents." He walked back to his tent.

"Dismissed!" Sergeant Thatcher shouted.

Scott was upset. "How are we going to carry the hospital tent and everything that goes with it?"

"Dr. Baxter Sir, those two wagons are for your hospital." Hugo pointed to some wagons.

"Thank you." Scott nodded to him.

We worked through out the night. Everything was packed up and ready to go by dawn. All the wounded that could not walk were put into wagons. The rest travelled with us.

It is amazing how slow mortals travel. I could see some of our group itching to run or carry the slow person walking beside them.

Paddy and I would walk together and talk quietly. Two weeks into our march Southwest we had gone only fifty miles in the mud and slush. Most of the mortals were ill. They all had a grip of some sort.

The Commander put a temporary halt to our march.

"Men we will rest here for awhile." A cheer went up but it was not very enthusiastic. "Yes I know you are tired and ill. Set up your tents then rest."

Commander Comerford walked over to Scott.

"I do not know how long we are going to be here. I will leave it up to you if you want to put up the hospital tent."

"Thank you Sir." Scott turned to his nurses. "Well Ladies are you up to putting the hospital together?" We all nodded.

"I thought as much." He smiled.

We moved at mortal speed to put the hospital up. Once everyone was in their beds we moved at our normal speed. The next morning the hospital had all its patients back in it.

Scott had us take turns sleeping in the corner just to look good.

The Commander walked into the hospital. "I am amazed at how efficient you all are."