Untitled Part 6

"Oh? Oh! Yes of course." He turned red then went to stand in front of the group of new arrivals.

"I am Commander Rufus Comerford. I run this outpost. You all will be trained for combat and survival techniques. This country is extremely rugged."

"You will be divided into smaller groups then into even smaller ones for patrols and such."

"That is all."

The Commander turned to some other officers.

"Find appropriate accommodations for the women."

"Yes Sir." They saluted him.

He left for his cabin.

A Sergeant called to us. "Follow me." He brought us to a large tent.

"The Privates in this tent will register you; provide you with bedding and mess kit and accommodations for sleeping."

The Sergeant then walked over to another tent. "In this tent you will be given a uniform. After you receive your uniform you will then go to your tent to put your supplies away."

"Does everyone understand?"

"Yes Sir." The twenty of us said.

Being already part of the Guard we knew the right response. The others, however, just mumbled and nodded.

"Line up at the first tent."

We did.

Scott was standing near us. He whispered. "I wonder where the hospital tent is."

We looked around then shrugged our shoulders. As we moved up the line we listened to the questions they were asking.

"Name? Where do you live? What are your skills?" Wayne and Markham were in front of us.

Wayne told them that he lived in a shanty on the north side of the river junction and he was able to shoot a musket.

Markham said he lived in a house a few doors down from Wayne and he knew how to use a musket and bow.

Paddy was the first one in our group. He told them his name.

"Where do you live?" The Private asked.

"My family and I live in cabins north of the river junction."

"Good." The Private said and handed him a bedroll and mess kit.

The Private stood up when I stepped forward. "Madam." He nodded his head smiling. "I am Kylie Riley. Paddy's wife." His face dropped.

"Madam, you are not allowed to accompany your man."

"Private, I am here to help the doctors as are the rest of the women with me."

"Rest of ...?" He looked past me to see Annabelle, Rachelle and Samantha. "But we do not have any doctors."

"You do now." Scott said from behind us. "And these ladies," He pointed to us. "They are my assistants."

"That is excellent." Said the Private.

Scott stood in front of the Private. "If it is at all possible can we have our accommodations near the hospital tent?"

"I do not see ... you mean the ladies too?"

"Yes Sir if there is an emergency I need them nearby."

"Yes of course." The Private leaned over to look down the line. "Is there any other ladies in the group?" He pointed down the line. We all looked. "No."