Untitled Part 20

From their spot on the river it looked like everything was on fire but with our sight we could still see several of the barracks near the hospital. They were in heavy smoke but not burning yet.

It took over twenty-four hours for everyone to keep the fire from spreading to the shantytown. All the barracks including the hospital went up in flames.

Once the flames died down we went up onto the hill to help with the smaller fires. The men were using axes and shovels to break down the walls and bury the smouldering wood.

A few of us went back to the hospital tent to help Scott. There was a large group waiting to see him. Many of them had burns from fighting the fire but most of them had problems breathing from the smoke.

Mariela and Colleen went back down to the river to bring water up to wash the patients. They were covered in an oily grime.

Before they went down to the river a second time Shaun came to tell them that the well at the back of the hospital barrack was accessible.

Curtis and Hugo salvaged a couple of the bathing tubs to store the water in.

Someone was able to take down the privacy curtains before the hospital burnt and we were using them for washing rags. Colleen, Mariela and Annabelle had cut them into smaller pieces.

Most of the patients drank the water before they starting washing the grime off.

Paddy, Shaun, Cory, John and Quinn came walking into the hospital tent. I grabbed some rags and a bucket of water with a dipper. They drank then washed.

Paddy signed that they had found bodies in the first five barracks. I nodded.

We stayed at the hospital for a week taking care of the soldiers and shanty men that were injured in the fire.

Commander Comerford had all the soldiers gather around the hospital tent. He wanted everyone together. He had Hugo and Curtis take stock of what was left after the fire.

Wayne and Paddy were talking near some patients I was taking care of.

"Paddy I do not know how this could of happened?" Wayne said sadly.

"I do not know Wayne. I was across the river when it started."

"No one knows," Wayne was staring into the distance, "I was in the first barracks when the roof started to burn. One minute everything was fine then the next there was hot cinders falling on us. We ran out side and the roof fell in. I have not seen Markham since." His eyes were watery. "I think there still is smoke in the air." He said as he rubbed his eyes.

"I have not seen some of the men either." Paddy said quietly. "I am afraid they might be still in the rubble."

"I hope Markham made it out." Wayne whispered.

I glanced at them. They were staring at something behind me. I turned to look Scott was closing the eyes of one of his patients. He looked at us and shook his head slightly.

By the end of the next week most of the burn victims had died.

Scott was very upset. "I do not know what I am doing wrong?"

Elder Camarillo came to console him. "You did not do anything wrong Scott. It was the smoke. I have seen this many times before. They would be making a great recovery then die. The smoke does something to their lungs."

"I even gave some a bit of my blood but it did not work." You could hear the despair in his voice.

"No Scott sometimes even that does not work." The Elder patted him on the back.

"Dr. Baxter Sir." Said a familiar voice.

Scott turned to the voice. "Ah Mr. Tunney it is good to see you."

"I have just returned from Montreal Sir. What has happened here?"

"A great fire Mr. Tunney with many dead." Scott turned to the back of the hospital. He was looking at the back of the tent. We had a pile of wrapped bodies hidden there. "Where are we going to bury all of them?" Scott said to himself.

"How many Doctor?" Mr. Tunney asked.

"Come with me Mr. Tunney." Scott brought him to the back of the tent.

"Oh Dear God." Mr. Tunney exclaimed when he saw the bodies. "You can bury them on my farm Doctor. I have a pasture you can use. Nothing much grows there."

"Thank you Mr. Tunney."

We started putting the bodies in the back of some wagons we had. Mr. Tunney led the way to his farm and showed us where to bury them.

It was a full month before we were finished burying the dead and cleaning up all the rubble from the fire.

Commander Comerford held a burial service for the dead. We all stood on Mr. Tunney's pasture watching Paddy, Cory and Quinn plant a tree in memory.

The Commander told us that we will be returning to the outpost at the end of the week.

John was overjoyed at joining the Army as a cook. He had all his pots and pans packed up and ready to go. He then talked to the Commander to see what kind of meals he was to prepare for the men.

Katey had barrels of food brought up from her storeroom for John. She made sure he had flour, sugar, salt, oats and all his herbs and spices. He had a wagon just for his supplies and a few others for chicken and salted meats.

He even managed to have a few barrels of Katey's preserves. She was proud of her kitchen and enjoyed sharing it.

We said our goodbyes and joined the rest of the Army heading to the outpost. When we stopped that night John had his fire going and some water onto boil. He had the evening meal ready in less than an hour.

The men were taken by surprise. The other cook took hours to make a simple meal of meat and potatoes. The men did not know that John was staying up at night preparing the meals for the next day. All he had to do was warm them up.

Paddy explained to John that he would have to take short naps while we were with the mortals. I watched him the next day he made breakfast then cleaned and packed up his equipment then he would sit in his wagon. The horses automatically followed one another. He would wake up if there was a sudden jolt in the road.

Two weeks later we were at the riverbank. There were too many trees for the wagons to pass through.

We had not started on the river yet when the French attacked us. It was a good thing we decided before we left that we would keep some muskets and shot with us just in case. It proved to be a wise decision.

The French did not expect a wagonload of women being able to shoot a musket. It did not take long before they found out how good at shooting we were and how fast we could reload.

Commander Comerford had us move closer to the rest of the men.

"You are too isolated over here." He whispered.

"All right." Scott said who was with us.

We moved the wagon slowly towards the main group of men. Paddy and Cory rushed over to help us.

"Is there a way to see how many soldiers they have?" The Commander asked quietly.