Untitled Part 33

We bowed to them.

"Your idea worked Councilwoman Anna." I told her.

"Good I remembered a spell a friend of mine had they used salt as protection from anyone coming into their home." She explained.

"But how come I was able to enter their quarters?"

"You were already in there." She said. I looked at her confused.

"When you healed Miss Bess' knee with your blood. Part of you was still with her. So you could not be barred from entering."

"Amazing." I chuckled. "You should have seen their faces when I kept walking over the salt line."

"Well it worked we were able to check their trunk. It was full of potions and medicine." Councilman Klaus said.

"I guess that is their personal items." Paddy said.

"It would be Paddy. It takes years to accumulate that amount of supplies of potions and medicine. It is what makes them witches." Councilwoman Anna said.

"I thought they did not like us?" I asked.

"They seem to be the exception." Councilman Klaus said.

"They should be returning to their house soon." Paddy said.

"Why is that?"

He told them about our encounter with the fishermen and that the Mullins were able to explain themselves.

"Good we will have some of our people go down there to see when it is safe for them." Councilwoman Cleo said.

"How long will it take for my blood to disappear from Miss Bess?" I asked.

"I am not sure. You will know when she starts to limp again." Councilwoman Anna said smiling.

"I see."

The reports from the shantytown were not very favourable for the Mullin witches. The people still felt they killed Corp. Myers on purpose.

The Council decided to keep the witches with us for the winter just in case.

We started harvesting our crops MaryAnn and Martha helped. Toby helped in the tannery. He was very good at it. Aunt Bess helped Katey in the kitchen. They had become fast friends.

One day Scott, Athos, Elder Camarillo and the Mullin witches were talking in the main square about all the experiments they do.

"If you like Ladies and Gentlemen we can build you a log cabin outside the cave for your experiments if you like?" Councilman Klaus asked.

"That would be most generous of you Sir." MaryAnn said.

"Think nothing of it. We have plenty of logs for the job."

"When do we start?" Martha asked.

"Well that depends on Cory." The Councilman said.

"Oh?"

Just then Shaun, Paddy, Cory and Toby came in from the tannery.

"Ah just the people I wanted to see, Cory come here please."

"Yes Sir."

"Is it too late to build a log cabin?" Councilman Klaus asked.

"No Sir. It usually only takes us a week to build one."

"Good. Build one for the scientists for their experiments." Cory looked at everyone confused.

"He means us Cory." Athos said.

"Yes of course," He cleared his throat. "I have never heard scientists used before." He said shyly.

"I want it where it will have the most light and access to water." Councilman Klaus said.

"Very good Sir." Scott said.

"I know just the place. We start tomorrow. Just one question how big?" Cory asked.

"I think twenty by twenty should be all right." Elder Camarillo suggested.

"Good." Cory said.

"Sir would you be needing hammer and nails I know how to make them." Toby said.

"You do?" Councilman Klaus said.

"Yes Master Klaus Sir. My Pappy was a blacksmith. He taught me everything he knows."

"Come with me my dear man."

Councilman Klaus brought Toby down the kitchen corridor. They came back with the fire pit from our ship when we sailed here.

"We are going to put this outside." The Councilman went outside to show Michael, Roger, Dennis and James where to put it.

"Now Toby I want you to set up your blacksmith shop how you want it. Let me know what you need."

"Yes Master Sir." Toby had a big grin. "I have my shop just like my Pappy."

"Curtis. Hugo to the main square." Councilman Klaus called out. They were in the main square a few minutes later.

"Amazing. You heard him. Where were you?" Aunt Bess asked.

"That is not important." Councilman Klaus said. "Tomorrow I want the two of you to go to the trading post and buy whatever Toby needs for his blacksmith shop. Take as many hides you think you will need."

"Yes Sir." They said together.

"Mr. Toby Sir. Can you give us a list of the items you need?" Hugo asked.

"Yes Sir but I do not know how to write."

"That is all right. We do." Curtis told him.

He started telling them what he needed. It was a long list. It was mostly tools he needed to work with like an anvil, hammers, prongs and lots of wood.

The next day everyone was busy building the log cabins for the scientists and helping Toby setup his blacksmith shop.

Toby and his helpers had a lean-to built with a roof. The fire pit was in the center of the floor. Toby walked around the fire pit with a long pole to make sure he had room to work.

Hugo and Curtis came back from the trading post with a wagon load of things for the shop. Toby looked into the wagon. He was in tears he could not believe what he was seeing.

"Master Klaus Sir. I do not know how to repay for all this?" Toby told Councilman Klaus when he saw him next.

"It is all right Toby. You have been working in the tannery. This is payment for all the work you did."

"Awe Sir I did not work that much."

"It is all right Toby. Enjoy your blacksmith shop."

"I will Sir I will."

Toby started a fire in the pit. A little while later we could hear the ring of his hammer. He made the first order of business was horseshoes for all our horses then he made hinges for all the doors in the cave. We had wooden ones. They broke often.

Next he made some huge pots for Katey and Aunt Bess to use in the kitchen.

Some of the people along the river found out there was a blacksmith nearby. Toby had a lot of work to do. He was very happy.