Untitled Part 7

"Yes Sir. Your name?"

"Rufus Comerford, Madam." I wrote it down then handed him the paper. "Please see Rachelle."

"Thank you Kylie." He walked over to Rachelle. She handed him a sheet.

"Please undress Sir and wrap the sheet around you." She pointed to the curtained off area. Once he was undressed Scott went in to the small curtained off area and brought him to his examining room.

The Commander chatted nervously while Scott examined him.

"Is this how you have seen all my men?" Commander Comerford inquired.

"Yes Sir."

"It is very relaxed system."

"Thank you Commander. We tried to keep the men calm it helps when I have to exam them."

The Commander giggled. "Sorry that tickles."

Scott was describing a scar on the Commander's chest.

"Who are you talking to?" We heard from behind the curtain.

"Samantha." Scott said.

"Why?"

"She is writing down my findings."

"Oh."

"What is the scar from Sir?"

"When I was a child I fell into a bramble bush. It is from a thorn that festered."

"I see."

"It was only an inch long. It stretched as I grew."

"Yes I have seen that before." Scott said. "All right Sir. You may dress. I am done." The Commander went back into the area with his clothes. He came out a few minutes later. "I will send my officers in to see you."

"Thank you Sir."

"Ladies." He nodded to us as he left.

Scott signed to us. "Very nervous."

We nodded.

His officers started showing up a few minutes later. It took us two days to see them all. They were very busy with all the training.

The Commander came to see us a week later.

"Doctor I would feel more comfortable if all of you learned how to protect yourselves."

"What does that entail Sir?" Scott asked.

"Learn how to shoot a musket of course."

"I think we can handle that." Scott nodded.

"Good. I will have Corporal Myers come and teach you."

"Thank you Sir."

A few days later a scrawny dirty smelly man showed up at the hospital. Scott thought he was ill. "How can I help you?" Scott asked.

"I am fine Doc. I am here to show you how to fire a musket."

"Oh?"

"And the ladies." He nodded to us.

"You must be Corp. Myers?"

"Yes Doc I am."

"All right Corporal show us."

He brought us outside to the practice range. He gave each of us a musket.

"You take the gunpowder and this piece of cloth and pack it to the end of the barrel then you drop the shot in, pack it down. You pull back the hammer, take aim then fire." We looked at him strangely.