Untitled Part 11

The next day we packed everything up again and moved another fifty miles Southwest. We setup camp on a small island about a hundred and fifty miles Northeast from our home.

Whenever any of the group did perimeter patrols they would met with some of the Guards from home and exchange information.

They came back one day letting us know the French Army was very close.

We found out the next day how close. There was a skirmish with some of our soldiers. Scott and the rest of us were busy with the injured ones. We were in the middle of an operation when we heard French being spoken not too far from the hospital.

We stared at each other listening to one of the French officers giving orders to his men. We did not know which direction they were aiming at until the order to fire was given.

They shot into the hospital tent. We all went down.

I was on the ground. I could see Samantha hanging over the side of her chair with her eyes wide open and blood running down the side of her face.

I tried to move but could not.

I could not see Scott from my position on the ground. The silence in the hospital was deafening. Usually we could hear some of the men moaning. Not a sound. I tried to hear any of the heartbeats close by.

There was none.

A few minutes later I heard twenty mortals running away from the hospital tent then a few minutes after that about forty mortals and immortals were running towards us. They stopped as soon as they entered the tent.

I heard Paddy whisper my name then the light whish of the curtains being moved.

"By the Gods!" Paddy exclaimed.

I could see him checking Samantha then sitting her up. Quinn was beside him holding her.

"Take the shot out Son." Paddy whispered.

Paddy then checked Scott. I heard someone grunt and cough.

Paddy was on the ground looking into my eyes. There were tears in his.

"Kylie." He whispered.

He disappeared from my line of vision. I could feel him poking around in my neck. It was not long before I had tingling in my hands and feet. He turned me over and held me in his arms while I healed. I slowly curled up onto his lap.

"What happened?" I whispered.

"A group of French soldiers fired on the hospital. You do not have too many of your patients left."

"Mm." I snuggled closer to him. "I miss this."

"Me too." He whispered and kissed my forehead.

We sat together for a long time. We watched everyone run around looking for survivors. I saw Samantha and Rachelle lying on some cots. Scott had helped remove the shots from their bodies. Samantha had a wicked headache and Rachelle had been shot in the shoulder. They stayed there for appearance sake.

Cory was sitting beside us with Annabelle. She had been shot in the back.

We were enjoying being together.

Commander Comerford walked past us then stopped. He couched down in front of us.

"Are your women all right?" He asked quietly.

"They are now." Cory said.

"What happened to them?" He asked quietly.

"Kylie was shot in the neck, Annabelle in her back."