Untitled Part 23

A few minutes later Hugo peeked out signing that it was ready. We lined up to pick up the hundred chickens. We carried two bags each except for the Councilwomen then we walked to the riverbank where we had our boats waiting. John and Paddy were waiting there.

We rowed across the river to our landing.

Once we were out of sight of any mortals we took off running. We were home a short time later.

"How did the visit go with the Ladies from the south go?" Paddy asked at dinner that night.

"It went well. One of the ladies Martha was sore from a fall she had Councilwoman Anna gave her some willow bark."

"Did she take it?"

"Yes she made a tea with it right away."

"Good." Paddy said "You have some new friends."

"It looks like it."

Quinn walked in. "Mom the lady that served us some mead. What was her name?"

"MaryAnn Mullin. We were with her sister Martha and her aunt Bess. Nice and friendly. They invited us back the next time we are in town."

"Was there anyone else in the house?" Paddy asked.

"I am not sure. I could not breathe after entering the house. Three mortals in a closed in area. Eww!"

They laughed. "I guess we will have to wait until the next time you are there." Paddy said.

"I will take short breathes next time." I smiled.

I put the teapot on the table.

"Mom do you think I could go with you again when you go to see those ladies?" Quinn asked.

"I do not see why not?"

"I would like to see MaryAnn again. She is very nice." He smiled.

"All right Quinn."

A few days later I was entering the cave after a patrol Quinn came up to me. "Mom when are you going to town?"

"Not for a while yet Quinn. You know I do not go around mortals very often."

"I am sorry Mom. I forgot."

"Do not worry I will not forget you want to come with me."

He chuckled. "I know Mom." He smiled then went to his quarters. I turned to go down the family corridor when Dennis and James called out to me.

"Kylie!" I waited for them.

"Do you know when we will be escorting Councilwoman Anna back to town?" Dennis asked.

"No Dennis, I do not know perhaps you should ask her."

"Yes that is a good idea." James said. They turned away and whispered to each other. "I can not wait to see that lady again."

I hurried to my quarters Paddy was in his private room. "Hey Love."

"Hello." I kissed him.

"You seem upset about something."

"It seems that Quinn. Dennis and James are a little anxious to go back to see MaryAnn."

"That is the lady that gave them refreshments."

"Yes."

"I heard Hugo and Curtis ask Athos when Councilwoman Anna would be going back to see her."

"I have never seen so many men anxious to see one woman."

There was a knock at the door I went to answer it. "Councilwoman Anna what a pleasant surprise."

She walked in and closed the door. "Kylie our escorts have been put under a spell." She said in a hushed whisper.

"What?!"

Paddy rushed out of his room. "Who has done this Councilwoman Anna?"

"Why the witch MaryAnn that is who."

"Witch?" We said together.

"Yes witch so is Martha and their Aunt." We just stared at her. "You did not know they were witches, did you?" She sat down.

"No Madam." I said shocked. "I had no idea."

"I recognised the incense they were burning. It was a calming scent. I think it was for their Aunt."

"I did not notice anything Madam I had stopped breathing after entering the house." I told her.

She looked confused then nodded. "I understand."

"How did she put a spell on them?" Paddy asked.

"I think she might have put it in the refreshments."

"What makes you think they had a spell put on them?"

"Hugo, Curtis, Dennis, James, Philip have all asked me repeatedly when I was going back into town to see MaryAnn."

"Oh Boy!" Paddy said. "Quinn, Cory and Liam were part of your escort, were they not?"

"Yes." I said.

"Have they asked you?"

"No." Councilwoman Anna said.

"Quinn has asked me."

"I remember he asked you a couple of days ago."

"And again today just before Dennis and James."

There was another knock at the door. Paddy went to answer it this time.

"Annabelle! Come in." She walked in her eyes were red as if she was crying.

"Oh Councilwoman Anna, it is a pleasure to see you." She bowed.

"I think you are here for the same reason I am." The Councilwoman said to her.

"Oh no has Athos fallen out of love with you too." Annabelle cried.

"No Annabelle. Cory has been put under a spell by a witch." Councilwoman Anna told her. Annabelle started cursing in multiple languages when she calm down. "So he still loves me?"

"Yes Annabelle as soon as the spell has been removed." Her smile brighten the room.

"I am so glad I came to see you."

"Just be patient I am going to go and see those witches first thing in the morning."

"Thank you I will." She opened the door to leave. We saw Lizzy crying and knocking on Colleen's door. "I am going to make Cory's dinner now." She ran back to her quarters.

"Grandma, Mom and Dad are on patrol. Come here I need to tell you something." She came to our quarters reluctantly.

"Paddy I am in no mood to visit." She snapped.

"I understand Grandma but what I have to tell you is important."

"Oh all right."

She saw Councilwoman Anna sitting in our common room. She bowed to her.

"Grandma sit down." Paddy guided her to a chair.

"Lizzy is Liam having a problem wanting to go to town." Councilwoman Anna asked gently.

"Yes he does. He wants to see a woman there I mean nothing to him after all these years." She cried.