56)

Wren

I sighed contentedly, leaning my head against Eddie's shoulder. Sunlight was creeping past the curtains and lightening the edges of the room.

Eddie had accidentally spent the night with me after reading to me. He had worked himself to exhaustion and it showed. He had fallen asleep in the middle of a paragraph, so I had carefully set the book aside and tried to make him as comfortable as my feeble capabilities could.

His heart beating beneath my ear, and his strong arms that curled around me made me feel as if everything I had ever wished for had come to pass. I had companionship, laughter, safety, and love, all of which I had been starved of for far too long.

The gentle brush of his finger against my cheek brought me out of my musings. I tilted my head slightly, meeting his piercing green eyes with a smile. The way he gazed upon me had me blushing heavily. He looked so strong and...well...desirable in the soft morning light.

His hair was rumpled, making me want to run my fingers through it. Stubble shaded his jaw, drawing my eye to the satin pink lips and his strong cheekbones. I wanted nothing more than to explore his mouth and feel his heat...

And yet I knew he would not for a few years to come. I knew his reasons for doing so, and I admired him for them, but maintaining self control was growing increasingly difficult. And yet, I refused to disrespect his wishes or take advantage of his affections for me. I knew what it was like to be stripped of choice and control, to have the most precious and intimate of acts stolen, tainted, and forever marred because of one person's inability to have basic human decency, or to accept with dignity, a negative answer to their request.

And so, while I did lay my hand against Eddie's cheek, returning his own tender attentions, and although I did let my fingers play with his silky strands of hair, I did not let my body's want outweigh my lover's wishes.

"Good morning, my darling," Eddie said, voice thick and deep from his slumbers.

"Did you...sleep well?" I asked, testing my voice carefully.

"I did. I am not even sore, though I think that is due more to a sweetheart I know, rather than my own doing," Eddie nodded, scooting down into the bed until we were both more comfortable. "Did you?"

I simply smiled, nuzzling his neck. He chuckled, accepting it as an affirmation. We snuggled, sharing quiet, sweet conversation until we heard the sounds of the house waking.

"Shall I help you get dressed?" Eddie asked, winking at me since he usually did in the mornings.

In a flash he had laid me back into the spot he had already warmed and was across the room searching through my wardrobe. Gently, he removed my sleeping garments, revealing my remaining bandages and new scars. He cleansed the still healing stump of my left leg, then applied a healing salve. He turned to a moisturizing cream which he rubbed into my newer scars to help them fade, and anywhere that looked a bit dry.

Once I was dressed for the day, he did my hair, plaiting bits and pieces as he went, although he left free hanging curls as well. As he finished, he dropped a kiss on my forehead.

"I love you, Wren," He said, emotion simmering just beneath the surface of his words.

"Love you," I responded, reaching for his hand.

"I know," His lips trembled.

My heart melted. He was looking at me like I was his entire universe. As if everything would fall apart if he glanced away from. I knew the feeling.

I squeezed his hand, trying to assure him it would be alright without words. Words were cheap...and they could only do so much. Eddie was a knight in shining armor, but that didn't mean he didn't bleed like everyone else.