24)

Wren

I couldn't help but hide in Bran's shoulder as we entered the dining room. I felt like all the air was sucked out of the room as everyone saw the three of us together. It was obvious what we had been doing - the marks were clear as day, our lips were swollen and our faces were still flushed.

Sal went to his post, while Bran stood behind my chair, supporting me until Mr. Price gave the go ahead to sit down. Robin was glaring at his food, and he savagely began attacking his sausage with his knife, making my gut twist up. I could feel the tension in the room rising with every passing minute, and I hated it.

I felt like I had betrayed Fletch somehow - he had been the first to welcome me. Robin was clearly upset, and why shouldn't he? He had been my first kiss - he had claimed me first.

"Wren!" Rian gasped, pressing his napkin to my lip where I had bitten through it.

Crimson dyed the pristine cloth. Copper moistened my tongue. My lip stung as Rian put pressure on the cut to help it clot.

"Wren..." Rian sounded shaky. "Please...stop hurting yourself..."

Mr. Price grabbed my right hand, gently unfurling my fist that had somehow clenched around the sharp end of the knife. A deep, angry line stretched across my palm, and blood smeared on to Mr. Price's white cuff.

I blinked, strangely detached for a moment. I couldn't feel the pain in my hand. I couldn't understand how it had happened without me noticing it...

What was happening to me?

"Wren, Wren," Mr. Price sounded urgent.

I couldn't look away from the blood that had dripped on to the table cloth, or smeared down my wrist. Someone's handkerchief was quickly tied in place, and I heard one of the boys leave to fetch the doctor.

"Wren. Look at me," Mr. Price ordered, forcefully pushing my chin up with his hand.

I blinked, but everything was fading in and out, layering itself in a dizzying, distorted way, like some of Cedar's manic paintings.

~

"Look at me," Richard sneered, eyes glittering in the candle light. "Wren...my fragile little bird..."

I flinched as he roughly jerked at my tied wrist, making sure it was secure. He sneered, leaning close to my ear and swirling his tongue around the shell before whispering cruel words.

"You are a bird, and this, my dear cousin, this is your gilded cage," He smirked. "I am in control. You will do what I say within or without this chamber because I own you. You will never be loved. You will never know what it is to be in someone's company - you are weak and soiled and unworthy of any virtuous woman. You will always be my secret."

I flinched as he kissed me hard enough to split my bruised and tender lip, and then he licked the scarlet droplets from my skin, marring his handsome face.

~

I flinched backward, releasing a hoarse cry, arms flying toward my face as I curled up as best as I could. My heart was pounding and my breath was stilted and all wrong. My body was racked with tremors, and I was terrified.

"Wren, darling," I knew that voice...

"Shh, it's alright love, wherever your mind has taken you, it isn't real. I'm here. You're safe, sweetheart."

I slowly peeked through my arms, half afraid I was dreaming, and Richard would be standing there, mocking me. But he wasn't - Mr. Price was kneeling beside my chair, eyes soft and tender, voice low and safe. Tears trickled down my cheeks, and I reached one trembling hand toward him, collapsing against his chest as he gathered me in his arms.