Baby Bird (A Special Scene)

(This is a scene before Orion's murder. I thought something fun would be nice.)

June smiled fondly as Robin became childlike, staring at his fingers and giggling. The boy was so precious it shouldn't be legal. His dark walnut brown hair curled over his ears and brushed his eyes as it lay loosely on the pillow. His legs were bare and a creamy color, since he refused to put anything on except June's oversized night shirt.

"Robin, it's time for breakfast," June called to him.

June was ignored. He knew Robin often got lost in his own head when in these phases, so he didn't take it personally. He tickled the boy's feet, watching his body writhe as laughter spilled from his lips. Bright blue eyes met June's gaze, and the man instantly smiled.

"Hey, sweetheart," June said. "Breakfast is ready so we need to get you dressed."

"No!" Robin protested, making a pouty face. "No want!"

June rolled his eyes, fond exasperation coating his features. He didn't take "No" for an answer, casually grabbing some appropriate attire and approaching the stubborn boy. With some deft movements, he wrangled the younger boy into his clothes, and then managed to make his bed head more presentable.

"Let's go, Rob," June smiled, holding his hand out for him to take.

Robin tilted his head, making his eyes as large and wide as he could make them. Flinging his arms up, he clenched and unclenched his fists in a grabby motion. June knew he was soft - too soft by the looks of it - but he couldn't deny Robin anything when he was acting like that. In seconds, Robin was perched on his hip, clinging to the tall, solid man.

"Ju-Ju, I wove you!" Robin practically sang as they steadily stepped down the hall.

"I love you too, Robbie," June relaxed, pressing his lips to the smaller boy's forehead.

"Kissies!" Robin squealed in delight, turning his face in hopes of receiving more.

June readily obliged, peppering the younger one with pecks and kisses along his forehead, cheek, and nose, purposefully dodging the prominent lips that tried to catch his every time. Robin scowled, although humor twinkled in his eyes, and his lips twitches upward despite himself.

"Sit by you?" Robin requested.

Usually they sat in a particular order. Wren and Robin sat by Eddie so that they could be monitored more closely when it came to their portions. June sat across from Fletcher because some days the silvery waif slipped a little with his food, and June could always encourage him to eat a bit more than Fletcher would otherwise. Orion, Sal, Branson, and Cedar didn't struggle much with appetite unless they were ill or under tremendous stress, so they usually sat in the middle.

But...on days like this, Robin depended heavily upon June for things he could normally do for himself. June had been his one supporter in his entire family, and as distant cousins, Robin had come to trust him. They had never done more than kiss*, and part of that was June's apathy for passionate pursuits. But June knew the boy inside and out, becoming his guardian in those instances.

So, June agreed, simply asking Sal to scoot down one chair. Breakfast was as always, an amazing fare. Sal, Eddie, Wren, and Orion had been working in the kitchen to prepare it, and as usual, it was amazing. There were biscuits and sausage gravy, poached eggs, some fried potato chunks, juicy looking grapes, and honey, jam and butter for those (Wren) who didn't fancy meat.

"Yummy!" Robin gasped, trying to get into his seat, although it wasn't time yet.

"Stand beside me until we're all present," June quickly commanded, keeping his voice low, yet letting it fill with authority. "It's impolite to begin without everyone."