54)

Wren

I sighed, sleepily smiling as June's fingers carefully tied my hair back for me. Robin was sitting at the foot of my bed, legs drawn up to his chin, and blue eyes fixed on my lips.

"What did the doctor say?" Robin inquired of June.

"He said that Wren is fragile right now, and that he should not be alarmed or upset in any way. He is confined to his bed for now, and we are to be on guard against infection. If you see that he is feverish, or that a wound is weeping, red streaked, or the skin adjacent to it is warm, send for Dr. Farre immediately," June stated. "That being said...Dr. Farre seems optimistic in Wren's ability to recover, and hopes to see him able to sit up and such in a week's time."

"I see," Robin nodded, a hint of sadness in his tone.

I wanted to be able to say everything in my heart. I wished I had the energy to explain how happy I was to be home, to be with my lovers, to be with the ones who made every day worth living. But I was far too weak for that, and there was no way that my trembling fingers could grasp the pen.

June had finished braiding and tying my hair up, and shifted so he was cradling me in his arms. I sighed sleepily, loving the feeling of security that blanketed me. Nothing could happen as long as I was here - safe in the arms of someone who loved me. My fingers ghosted over his golden skin as a thought struck me.

I carefully traced the letters against his forearms, loving the contrast of his white shirt against his sun kissed tan. His arms tightened briefly as it clicked in his brain, and I felt his smile as he kissed the top of my head. His deep voice made my stomach swoop, and his words made the world seem much brighter than before.

"I love you too, Wren."

~

I woke much later in the afternoon, feeling drowsy and muddled. The room was quiet and solitary which was odd since I was never left to myself. My heart jumped to my throat when I saw him. He was nearly invisible in the deep shadow of the armoire, his cloak and dark clothing shrouding him.

My first instinct was to panic, trying to find a way to escape, to warn the others. I didn't want to die - not after finding something to live for. And the man in black was nothing but a harbinger of death.

"I will not harm you, young Master," His voice sent chills up my spine.

It was indescribable. It was neither high nor low in timbre, there was no accent, no change in modulation...and yet, curiously, there was a heavy sense of emotion behind each word. It seemed hauntingly familiar, as if I had known it before.

"When I first saw you, I did not recognize you. If I had known you, I would never have taken your contract. I would have protected you instead of harming you. I know my apologies seem trifling and insignificant in the face of all that I have done to you, and to yours. I will never ask for your forgiveness. I simply wish to explain, and in so doing, give you an answer of sorts for the loss of your loved one.

"Will you allow this?"

I didn't know what to think. Why was he here? What was he going on about? My head hurt. Truth be told, I didn't want him there. I wanted him to leave, to never show his face again...to be gone. And yet, the closure seemed impossible to ignore. I needed an answer for Orion's death.

At my consensual nod, the man began, crossing his hands in front of him in a seemingly relaxed pose.

"Many years ago, my family befriended another family of means. I often played with the family as a child, and grew to be fond of them not for money or status, but because of their character and good nature. Their son became my best friend, and through the years we only drew closer. When I became of age, I was forced to leave and attend our family's business in the coal mines of North Carolina, and was gone for several years.