(A Special Chapter) (30)

Branson

I knew it was dinner time, but I didn't have the energy to deal with people. I wasn't snooty, I just liked being alone and not being obligated to talk to anyone. It was so frustrating when I wanted to simply exist and others forced me to engage.

Which was why I was currently hiding in the stables. I liked animals a lot, mainly because they offered companionship without the effort I had to give in order to be polite and socially acceptable. I could rant and rave or be silent as a tomb and my horse wouldn't care.

I sighed dismally as I stroked Major's nose, leaning into him as I hugged his neck. Major was my gelding, a beautiful gray with a white star and two stockings on his back feet. He was gentle and rode well, and he was a steady friend through the years.

Dusty wound around my feet, flicking his whiskers in annoyance as I ignored him. Dusty was a barnyard cat, and anything but friendly. But I had rescued him when he was a kitten, and he never seemed to forget that. However, he was a very jealous feline, and he would annoy me on purpose until he got what he wanted.

"Branson?"

I ducked down into the stall, hoping that Fletcher hadn't seen me. He would persuade me to do dinner regardless of whether I wanted to go or not. He'd say something about how Wren would miss me, or how Eddie would be disappointed.

I did care about their feelings and opinions, but sometimes I needed to be by myself for a while. I held my breath until Fletcher retreated, a heavy sigh falling from his lips. A small smile made it's way to my lips as I scooped Dusty up into my arms and headed for the hay loft where I could hide better.

~

The stars were coming out when Robin found me. I was watching the dark sky, lost in thought when his body flopped on top of mine, forcing my breath away. I winced, frowning at him, but he simply pulled a blanket over us, and laid there as if I was his bed.

It annoyed me, but I couldn't be mad at the boy. He was too sensitive for my barbed words, so we sat in silence, looking out at the world through silver bathed light.

"I like the fireflies," Robin yawned, pointing at the glittering lights at the edge of the tree line. "They look like miniature stars."

"Hmm," I grunted.

"What do you like most about night time?" Robin asked sleepily, eyes drooping and his smile sliding half off his face as he stared at me.

"The quiet," I unhesitatingly replied. "It's peaceful."

"I like the stars the best because they are small, like me, but they can shine so bright," Robin dreamily told me, trying to cup one in his hands. "Do you think that's where people go when they die? My Nanny said they do, but she lied all the time. But I want to go there and be a star when I'm dead."

"People believe many things when it comes to dying," I shrugged.

"But what do you think about that?" Robin demanded.

"I think you can be anything you wish to be in this life or the next," I said, staring at Robin's large blue eyes.

He smiled at me, face melting into something sweet and affectionate. His lips descended, pressing against mine, not seeking more than that, and yet conveying something deeper than passion.

"So can you," Robin breathed out.

~

It was nearing midnight, and Robin had fallen asleep long before, but I knew he was warm enough between our body heat and the blanket. However, we couldn't sleep outside no matter how much I wished too. With a sigh, I hoisted him up and carried him inside.

Eddie met me at the door, a concerned expression on his face. It melted away as he saw my contented face, and simply took Robin from my arms and instructed me to eat some food before bed.

I had no qualms about that. I was a large person in terms of height and frame, and I needed nutrition. Cold biscuits, and some ham and potatoes were set out for me, and I quickly ate my fill while Eddie put Robin to bed.

I was just finishing when he came back down, pouring himself a nightcap.

"Branson, you are required for dinner, why did you neglect that duty?" Eddie asked tiredly.

"Too many people," I husked out, a small frown accompanying the words.

"Too many people, or Sir John?" Eddie smirked.

"Latter," I sighed.

"Well, you should think about others a bit more, Branson. Robbie missed his dinner, and you know how hard he has worked to get where he is. Skipping meals is not healthy as it is, but he could easily fall back into bad habits."

"I'm sorry," I ground out, angry with myself for not thinking about that.

"Good, we have an understanding. Where were you anyway?" Eddie inquired.

"Barn," I shrugged.

"Ah. How's Major?" Eddie nodded.

"Good," I stated, although a smile crept to my lips.

"I'm glad. Would you like to ride with me tomorrow morning?" Eddie offered.

I beamed, "Of course, Eddie!"

"I'm sorry if you feel neglected, Branson. I don't mean to," Eddie passed a tired hand over his eyes.

"No. I'm fine," I shook my head.

~

The morning mists made the meadows hazy. The sun was beginning to rise, and the cool air made me feel brisk and happy. Major was frisky because of the morning air, and I couldn't help but laugh as my heart swelled with happiness.

Eddie looked delicious in his riding clothes. His tall boots and riding pants fit him so well, and his relaxed shirt and vest hugged his abdomen in just the right way. I liked it so well, and even though it was supposed to be an innocent ride, when we stopped, I was determined to do something sinful to his body.

"Are you ready?" He asked, leading his own horse to the mounting block.

I grinned in response.

We started out at a slower pace to warm the horses, but soon we were going along the forest trail at a steady trot. We rode in peaceful silence, lost to our own thoughts.

We let the horses have their heads when we entered the meadow. The wind teased our hair, and the drive of Major's hooves sent blood racing through my veins. I was flying, soaring! The earth seemed so far away...nothing existed but the horse beneath me and the sun above.

At last we slowed. The creek was nearby so we let the horses cool down and drink. Eddie laid down on the bank, covering his eyes with his arm, looking the picture of serenity. His body was lax and content. One of his legs was drawn up while the other laid straight out.

In an instant, I was leaning over him, pressing a searing kiss to his lips. One of my hands drifted to his vest, swiftly unbuttoning it. Once his shirt was open, I took my time kissing, nipping, and marking every inch of his skin.

Our eyes met, and then he was devouring me. I groaned as he licked at my throat, teasing me relentlessly. His fingers twisted my nipple, making me swell with desire.

It was beautiful to give in to our primal desires. To let our blood rise and our love become physical, tangible. It was lovely to express ourselves with nature as our witness.

In our private field of flowers, we bloomed. We reached heights above the trees, we soared higher than the birds. We were hushed moans and whispered caresses. We were sensitive to each pass of the breeze, each flutter of the grass, every brush of the dirt.

We became one with nature. We were one with each other.

1,331 words.