43)

Eddie

Johnny gave me a serious look as he sat across from me. It was drawing close to a fortnight since Wren had been taken away. I knew I had to wait until everything was properly done so he couldn't be whisked away again, but it vexed me sorely. I wanted to actively do something - anything.

"So, I gathered some...interesting news from a few people I'm in contact with," Johnny began. "I'm picking up a few strings and I think if I pull, the Beckham's kingdom will fall."

A spark of hope ignited, burning in my chest like a flame. Finally, something that I could work with! I leaned forward, eager to hear what my brother had found out.

"Mind you, I haven't got concrete evidence just yet, but I at least know where to look now," Johnny inserted a disclaimer. "Remember my contact that was looking into Wren's family? It looks like he finally found something. Wren's mother, Mary, and her sister never got along. Anything Mary had Matilda wanted - whether it was a man's attentions, a new dress, or a pretty trinket - Matilda was not happy until she got it. Matilda was younger, but very spoiled and her parents obviously favored her over Mary. When Mary refused to give William Daily up, Matilda swore revenge.

"Apparently she tried to stop their wedding, using any means necessary. She tried to blackmail Mary by cutting her off from the family, but that was no deterrent. She even stood up on their wedding day to prohibit the bands, but she had no real claim so she was dismissed. After that, she tried to ruin her reputation and drag them both down in society, but ultimately failed.

"When Wren was born, she sent a black rose, and rather hideous words about her nephew. It was clear she despised everything about her sister, including her own nephew.

"The will was clear in both parent's cases - the fortune was to be Wren's in the event of his mother's demise. But there was one thing they overlooked - they did not name a guardian of the child. Now, William had family - two brothers, his mother, his father, and a few aunts, uncles and cousins. All of them were willing and able to provide for Wren and made it abundantly known to the court.

"But Matilda fought valiantly to obtain his guardianship even though her whole life had been centered around destroying her sister's life and happiness. Which begs the question...why would she fight for Wren?

"The final statement of the will dictates that if Wren were to die in a questionable or accidental manner, the money and business will be given to William's brothers, David and Samuel. So as you see, there seems as though there is nothing to be gained from anyone harming Wren.

"However, if someone were to forge or coerce Wren into making a new will, and naming his guardians as the new recipients, there would be much to gain. So, my theory is that Matilda took on guardianship to reinforce her reputation, with the end goal of inheriting her sister's wealth. Thus, she must have a signed and notarized copy of Wren's will somewhere in her household.

"Everything I've told you is as sure as can be, but I have no evidence to secure it in court. If I can find a receipt or paper indicating that Matilda had a forgery made, or that Wren was somehow made to sign, or even that she employed the assassin, everything will crumble down."

I sank backward into my seat, mulling over everything that I had been told. Johnny's theory was definitely interesting. It would explain the reason why the assassin knew where Wren was, how he got access to his room, and how he managed to follow him to the Institute.

And the inconsistencies in his Aunt's behavior were also explained. The reason she was cold and cruel to him in private and yet so warm and smothering in public was now made clear. She had to seem fond and attached so when his death was announced she would not be suspected as a murderess.