Chapter 29

They headed down to the boss' room, Sinon staying besides Silica. She still felt as if Kirito was staring at her, keeping her in lock gaze.

She liked how he was concerned for her, but she also hated it.

She shivered a bit, rubbing her arms. Silica looked over at her and gave her a smile.

"Getting the spooks?"

"Yeah," Sinon lied.

"Well this is the thrill," Silica said and gave a small jump of excitement.

Sinon smiled over at her.

She was right. She wasn't supposed to be feeling nervous, this was about being here with the others. Right now she didn't want to be thinking about Kirito or Asuna. Sinon stood up straight, her ears perking up and her tail swishing in a nice sway.

They reached the boss' room and everyone got into position. Silica went around, taking her position on the other side. Sinon went and followed her, but her arm got grabbed. She looked back and it was Kirito.

"Kirito?"

"We're partners right?" he asked.

They were.

Sinon looked down at his arm, unsure of what to say.

She knew he was her partner, but now wasn't the time for him to call her a partner, now that she felt replaced. Sinon gently grabbed his arm and took him off her.

"I told Silica I was going to aim at her angle," she lied and began to walk off.

"Sinon."

Sinon looked back a bit, Kirito having a stern face on.

"Yes?"

Before Kirito can say anything else, Klein came over and gave him a pat on the back. Sinon took the opportunity to leave and ran back to where Silica was at.

"I'm joining you today," she said.

"You're not going to team up with Kirito?" she asked a bit confused.

Sinon shook her head. She didn't want to say anything that might make her assume things or think that something was up with her. Silica seemed to understand though.

When the boss had arrived, they gave out their attacks and did what they were best on. Sinon stayed in the distance, keeping her aim focused on the boss' eye. She felt the arrow slip from her fingertips and quickly towards the eye. The boss roared and looked towards her, locking his fight attack on her.

Sinon gasped a bit and quickly gathered up her other arrow. The others noticed the boss' focus on Sinon, trying to distract him. Sinon jumped up high and pulled back her arrow.

She could do this.

The boss' arm reached up, Sinon locking in her gaze on its other eye. She set it off but before it can even land on his eye, Kirito had climbed up on its head and had his sword pointed upward against it.

"Kirito!"

Kirito looked back when she screamed and noticed the arrow heading towards him. Everything seemed to fall in slow motion, the arrow scraping against his shoulder.

The boss HP had dropped and suddenly disappeared into crystals. Kirito held onto his shoulder, Sinon running towards him.

"You idiot! Why didn't you move?" she yelled.

"How else was I supposed to get you to talk to me?"

Sinon stayed quiet.

Kirito looked back at the others and saw that they were staring at them.