Chapter 21

Kirito looked around the dark room when he was summoned to a battle. He was too distracted by how he got there that he wasn't paying attention on who his opponent was. Once the time limit ran out he found himself in a deserted area with no buildings or anything to hide behind.

What was going on?

He saw a figure from the distance walking up to him, tensing up a bit.

"Sinon?"

The sand caused a small storm from the gush of wind, Kirito squinting his eyes and putting his hand up to push his hair back.

The more the figure grew closer, the body shape became clear. He focused on his opponent hand's and from an instant, a gun was shown in view and the sound of a trigger. Kirito quickly grabbed his purple light saber and held it out in front of him, blocking the bullet from hitting him.

No response was being given and once the dust had cleared, he got these shivers from the back of his spine. When he looked at his opponent's face, another bullet was triggered and scraped his cheek.

It was him...that Hikaji guy.

Kirito stepped back and quickly pulled out his gun from his back pocket and aimed it towards him. Hikaji moved away from the bullet and ran towards him, already pulling the gun back to prepare another bullet.

What was the problem with this guy?

Kirito clenched his teeth together and before Hikaji could even shoot, Kirito swiftly knocked the gun out of his hand with his light saber.

Hikaji stood there in shock by his sudden movement and ran to retrieve it, but Kirito shot directly at his arm. Hikaji lost his balance and fell onto the ground, Kirito pointing his light saber in front of him.

Hikaji scoffed.

"Ridiculous," he said. "Why do you use a weapon like that in a game of guns?"

Kirito eyed him carefully.

"It doesn't matter what the weapon is, just on what your expertise is on."

"Really? That's good to know from the known Kirito-san," he snickered. "How long do you plan on playing this act?"

Did this guy know that he was really a guy? He was indeed a very strange person who sure brought a bad atmosphere around him. Kirito had enough to take in front this guy, but he didn't feel it was right to kill him off now. Kirito stepped back and sighed.

"It seems we got off at a bad start. I'll call this a truce for now," Kirito said and turned away from him, walking the opposite direction from Hikaji.

Hikaji shook his head and quickly got to his feet, not wanting truce with him just yet. He grabbed his gun and ran towards him, until Kirito slashed his light saber directly at his chest.

"You bastard..." Hikaji stammered. He dissapeared before he could hear the last part of what he said, though Kirito didn't pay much attention.

Kirito let out a breath and put his light saber back in his belt and looked up when the congratulatory music came on and the sign:

Kirito is the Winner!

Kirito stared at the sign for a moment and thought on how he always ended up having battle with a foe.

A foe...

He felt himself get transported back to the building, letting out a puff of air. Sinon quickly ran towards him and without thinking, she wrapped her arms around him.

"Kirito! Thank goodness, you're safe."

He smiled and embraced her back.

"Safe? I'm alright," he said softly and looked over her shoulder. He saw the group of men cheering and from the middle of the group, he swore he saw Hikaji shake his head at him.

"Why did he challenge you?" Sinon said and let go of him.

Kirito didn't keep his eyes off him, Hikaji keeping a stern eye at him as well.

"I don't know," he said.

He thought about what Hikaji mentioned to him: "how long do you plan on playing this act?"

"Sorry Sinon, but I have to log out for today."

"Oh?"

Kirito gave a pat on her head and leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"Be careful, I suggest you log out as well," he said and stepped back. "Well I'll see you later."

Sinon watched him as Kirito pulled out his tracker log and clicked the log out button.

Why did he had to leave so soon?

She looked back at the screen from where she saw the battle and thought about if something had happened.

If something had happened it would mean that it was something important...but what?

Was there something that Kirito had to do that was urgent?

Sinon sighed and decided to log out, just like he said. She took out her tracker log and clicked the log out button with her eyes closed.

"Goodbye, Shino."

Sinon opened her eyes quickly but everything around her had already went blank and she had found herself back into reality.

Nobody in the game knew of her real name...besides the people close to her. If Kirito had already logged out, who was the one who said her name?

She felt the uneasiness grow inside her stomach, as she hugged herself tightly.

"Goodbye, Shino."

That voice...it was so familiar.