Chapter 26

Asada-san had thought about what occurred the other day. She felt her face grow hot, embarrassed. She shook her head and thought on how much she didn't want to see Kirito the next day. She looked over her phone and put it in silent, not wanting to receive any messages from him either.

She laid back down and placed her arm on her forehead.

Why?

Why was he doing this to her?

She turned to her side and thought that if she stayed home the entire day, he would come by. She shook her head, not wanting to allow that so she sat up and put on some knee lengths socks and a grey jacket. She headed out her apartment and made sure she wasn't being followed. For the moment, she just needed to be in a distant place where Kirito couldn't reach her.

She kept on walking, glancing back each time that she wasn't focusing on where she was walking. When she had turned back around, she bumped into someone with groceries in their hands.

"Sorry..." she said, picking up some of the groceries that fell.

"It's fine....oh! Asada-san?"

She looked up when the sudden stranger had said her name and realized that it was Lisbeth.

"Lisbeth."

Lisbeth smiled at her and and let Asada-san slip the groceries back in her bag. Asada-san didn't want to be rude so she decided to have a small conversation with her.

"I haven't seen you for a while. How you've been?" she asked her.

Asada-san thought about it.

How has she been doing?

First there was the issue with Hikaji, the fear of Kyouji coming back, and the fact that Kirito might have confessed to her.

"I've been okay," she lied. "How about you?"

Lisbeth gave off a shrug and began walking. It had been a while since they both talked. It was actually during Asuna's departure.

"Lisbeth, can I ask you something?" Asada-san asked.

"Go ahead."

Asada-san shifted her hands a bit nervously and looked at her.

"Have you talked to Asuna lately?"

"I have."

"Oh?" she said a bit surprised.

How had Lisbeth contacted her and Kirito have not? She thought if this was just a coincidence.

"How?"

"Asuna is my best friend. She has a few moments when she's able to talk," Lisbeth explained. "Why? Do you want to contact her?"

Asada-san shook her head. She had nothing to speak with Asuna. In fact, she didn't want to talk to her at all. Lisbeth stopped at the corner and looked at her.

"If you're not busy, would you like to have lunch with me?"

"I'll like that," she said and walked towards the same direction as her. She didn't want to go back home, she couldn't face him yet. Though, he hasn't even messaged her either...

Could she be wrong that he was confessing?

When she arrived at her home, she sat down and looked around. There was portraits of her with Asuna and Silica. She picked one up, seeing the close connection she had with her.

"Lisbeth I've been wondering, how did you become friends with Asuna?"

Lisbeth set the groceries on the table and served her something to drink.

"We met in SAO actually. Just like how I am in ALO, I was her own personal blacksmith along with other players. She was one of the few I was close with in the game," she said and smiled, handing her her drink.

"So many things must have happened in SAO," she said and grabbed her drink.

"Of course. It was also the beginning of Asuna and Kirito," she said.

Asada-san looked down at her drink and began to have a guilty conscience. It was the beginning of their relationship and now she was interfering with them.

"Which reminds me, how's Kirito?"

Asada-san turned her head away, not wanting to do any eye contact with her. She didn't know what to say...in fact how did she know she's been with Kirito lately.

"He's good. I've seen him around in ALO," she said to make it seem less awkward.

She thought about how he had invited her to the bonfire event in ALO and how she had left him there. She hid her face and sighed quietly. She looked over at her phone and bit her lip when she had noticed a missed call.

"He must be feeling alone without Asuna. I hope he's doing okay. He has a strong heart, you know? He's really attached to the one he loves. It must feel really special to be part of his life," Lisbeth said and took a sip of her drink.

Asada-san thought about her words and thought on how lucky she was. Even if Kirito did have Asuna and she had him, Asada-san felt as if Kirito had her and she had him. She felt her heart ache just thinking about him.

Kirito.

"Sorry, Lisbeth. I just remembered I had to do something," Asada-san said and stood up abruptly. "Thanks for the stay."

Lisbeth blinked a bit confused, but in the end she waved a smile at her. Asada-san quickly left the house and leaned against the wall, her arms over her face.

She was a fool. A big stubborn fool who didn't understand what she wanted. She looked down at her phone and saw that it was from Kirito.

She clenched onto it and ran back home. It was time, she thought. He had to know. She couldn't keep it in anymore.

When she arrived at home, she caught a glimpse of someone sitting on the steps. She walked towards it and looked down at him. Kirito looked up and sat up quickly when she stood in front of him.

"I just wanted to say sorry. I didn't mean to scare you away."

Asada-san shook her head, determined.

"No, you didn't. It was the truth that did."

Kirito looked at her and remained quiet.

"What?"

She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. She felt her heart race, the nerves getting towards her. She felt like running or doing any sudden excuse to leave from the situation, but she was tired of running. She opened her eyes and calmed herself down.

"Kirito," she said softly. "I like you."

Kirito's expression had changed, his eyes growing wide from the confession that neither he or she spoke. The only thing in between them was the sound of the wind blowing against them.