Chapter Twenty-Nine

"CODE PURPLE ROOM 341....I REPEAT CODE PURPLE ROOM 341"

That was Ryder's room. The doctors rushed passed me and into the room. I fell against the wall, pain in my chest and I couldn't breathe. My fiancee is in that room and I don't know what is happening and no one is saying anything. I couldn't breath I pulled my inhaler from my pocket as a nurse rushed out my son in her arms and she didn't say a word. Damn it what is happening, why hasn't anyone came out. I pulled the phone out and texted my father,

Joe: Dad something went wrong with Ryder, I don't know whats happening. They made me leave and there was a code purple. Dad what if something happens to her?

Thomas: The baby....what about the baby?

Joe:I don't know they pushed me out and a nurse came out with the baby and rushed him down the hall didn't say a word to me or even stop.

Thomas: We're all on the way, Joesph where are you?

Joe: Saint Mary's third floor labor and delivery.

Thomas: We will be there as soon as we can, did you call her dad?

Joe: no.....

I threw my phone back into my pocket. I walked to the door and tried to see in and nothing but a curtain, but I could hear the chaos. A bunch of voices yelling and clanking of tools. I wiped the tears sliding down with the back of my hand. I don't know how long I sat outside the door the tears streaming down, listening to the chaos in the room. Hoping to be able. to make out what they are saying. 

I don't know how long I stood there when the door flew open and my heart jumped into my throat. Maggie Ryder's doctor stepped out and thats when I seen it, her scrubs covered in blood.

"Joesph"

"RYDER..RYDER IS SHE OK?"

"Joesph, listen to me, Ryder hemorrhaged, and her blood pressure dropped. We stabilized her blood pressure and she is going up to the OR to try to control the bleeding."

"Is she......"

"Joesph Im not going to lie to you, it is a possibility."

"And the baby what about our son?"

"The nurse took him to the nursery and he is getting an extensive exam with the pediatrician."

"Is there something wrong with him?"

"To my knowledge no, but given the situation with Ryder we are erring on the side of caution. "

Just then her door busted open and the frantically rushed her from the room.

"RYDER!"

"Joesph she isn't conscience, I need you to go to the waiting room and as soon as I am done in the OR with her I'll come out and talk to you."

She turned and rushed off and I felt my heart drop. I walked down the hall and sat down well every senerio played in my head as the tears fell from my eye. I don't even know how long I was sitting there and praying that she would be okay. I can't picture what my life would be like without her. What about our son, he is going to need his mother....I need her. I never needed anyone more than her. The sound of my fathers voice pulled me back and I watched my parents and siblings as well as her father and Remi all rush in.

"Joesph!!"

"yeah...."

"Any word?"

"They rushed her into surgery to try to get the bleeding under control."

"What about the baby?"

"They rushed him out they said he is getting examined by the pediatric attending. I haven't even got to hold my baby,"

"They need to be thorough Joesph."

"I know dad but I don't know whats happening to either one of them and its been hours."

"Let the doctors do their jobs and we all just have to wait and pray."

I paced the floor for what seemed like hours, then I heard my name,

"Mr. McIntyre...."

I looked up and seen the same nurse that rushed the baby from Ryder's room standing in the entryway.

"Yes"

"Mr. McIntyre, the doctors have just finished examining your son, would you like to see him?"

I stood up and looked over at my parents, I just froze for a second.

"Go son..."

with a nod from my father I followed the nurse down the hall to the nursery. She stepped in and I froze in the doorway. I looked down and my hands were shaking and my heartbeat picked up. I can't believe I finally get to see him. 

"Mr. McIntyre, its okay you can come in."

I walked over to where he was sleeping and I never seen something so perfect.

"Do you want to hold him?"

I choked up and nodded. She pulled up a chair and gestured for me to sit down. She carefully placed him in my arms and a tear slid down. He is beautiful just like Ryder. I stopped and thought she has to be okay, he needs her, I need her. I just sat starting at him in awe on how he could be here, how Ryder and I made the perfect version of the both of us. I don't know how long I sat just staring at him before I heard a soft,

"Joesph son...."

I looked up to seem mother standing there, tears in her eyes as soon as she seen him. She walked over and stood behind me staring lovingly at her new grandson. My head fell back against my mother. Just her presence was a comfort with the trauma I am feeling.

"He is beautiful Joesph"

"He looks so much like Ryder, he is beautiful just like her."

"He is. How you holding up?"

"At this point I feel numb. I sit here and look at him and I can't picture him growing up without her."

"You can't think like that. You know Ryder is going to fight like hell."

"Then why is it taking so long?"

"The doctor needs to do her job. So what we have to do is pray and pray and pray some more ." 

It was sometime in the early morning hours my family and her's went home I told them I call when I knew anything. My body gave it up and I fell asleep in the waiting room. I don't know how long I was asleep when I felt someone shaking me and saying my name.

"Joesph...Joesph...."

My eyes flew open, it was Ryder's doctor. I sat up

"Maggie...Maggie is Ryder ok?"

"Joesph, Ryder is out of surgery and up in the ICU. She is sedated. She lost a lot of blood and we did lose her once. We were able to get a heart rate back and her pulse is back to a normal rate. The next 24 to 48 hours are going to be critical."

"Can I see her?"

"She is on the 8th floor, Room 810"