Chapter Sixteen

My eyes fluttered open, and I rolled over. I reached over and there she was asleep so soundly and she just looked so peaceful. I couldn't help but smile. Having her here lying next to me gave me feeling I never would have expected and never felt before. The thought of me kissing her last night crossed my mind. I honestly thought that night of the show was just because of the drinking, last night proved me wrong. That one small kiss I gave her spoke volumes. I don't even know if I should even bring it up to her. She has made it real clear that she doesn't feel the same way that I'm feeling. It honestly has me conflicted. I couldn't help it I leaned over and kissed her cheek lightly before I slid from the bed.

I slipped on some grey sweatpants and headed downstairs. I quickly fed Rocky and let him out. I figured maybe instead of going out to breakfast and we have to try and stay hidden and all that bullshit maybe I should just make her breakfast. I know I'm going to have to drive her back to school today, she missed today because of me, and she never misses class. I was frying bacon when she came stumbling downstairs. She looked so cute in my tee-shirt her hair all messed up.

"Morning Ry Ry"

"What are doing?"

"Making you breakfast, bacon and eggs."

"Did you say eggs.....oh god!"

Just like that she ran to the closest bathroom off the kitchen, and I heard it, she is in there throwing up. I just signed and turned off the stove and walked through the bathroom door kneeling next to her.

"It's ok baby let it out, I'm right here."

Then it clicked what I said and honestly in that moment I just didn't give a fuck. I sat rubbing her back and holding her hair. She was in the bathroom and so sick for over an hour, when she leaned up, there was tears in her eyes and it broke my heart. She didn't say a word for a second then she ever so quietly said "you called me baby....."

"Yeah, I did"

"Joey don't...."

"Don't what?"

"Don't call me baby."

"What are you talking about?"

"Joey were not together and we can't act like we are."

"Ryder....."

"Can you leave me alone so I can clean up please."

"Ry..."

"Please Joey,"

I just sighed and walked away. I just don't want her to get upset. I can't say hearing her say that didn't sting. I walked back into the kitchen and finished up her breakfast and a few minutes later she walked back in. I watched her slid on the chair at the island.

"Sorry about that, that my normal morning routine."

"Your breakfast is done."

I know I sounded cold when I answered her but at the same time, I just couldn't shake how I feel when she said that.

"Hey you, okay?"

"Yeah fine, eat your breakfast so I can bring you back to the dorm."

"This early in the morning, I figured we could hang out."

"Nah not today....."

"Joey...."

"What's your deal?"

"I don't have a deal, just finish up. I'm going to go up and shower, when I'm done, we'll head back."

I heard a small sniffle as I walked out. I stopped and looked over and watched her wipe hey eyes with the back of her hand. She is crying. That stung even more than her telling me not to call her baby, I don't want to see her cry no matter what. I quietly walked back and wrapped my arms around her from behind, and she jumped up.

"Don't cry Ry Ry...."

"I'm not"

"Yes, you are, please don't cry. What's wrong?"

"It's these hormones...."

"No, it's not."

I stepped back and grabbed her hand walking her into the living room. I felt her hand squeeze mine and she wiped her eyes.

"I'm going to ask you again, what's wrong?"

"You..."

"Me....?"

"Yes you. You called me baby and then got so mad when I told you not to call me that. I don't get it why is that such a big deal. You're my best friend, you don't call your best friend baby."

"You know Ryder maybe I don't want to just be friends anymore."

I heard her gasp then a sniffle and the tears dripped from her eyes.

"Take me home Joe!"

"Ryder..."

"I said take me home."

She took that the wrong way but now she won't even listen to me. I didn't want to get her any more upset than she already was, so I just took her back to the dorm. I pulled in and put the car in park. I went to unbuckle my belt and walk her to her room, but she was already out the car and walking to the door. My heart told me to chase after her and just tell her how I feel and make her listen but the stubborn Irish in me won and wouldn't let me. I watched to make sure she got into the building safely and I pulled out. I spent the entire drive home with a hundred thousand thoughts going through my head. Donnie called me later on and asked me to go shoot some hoops. I went figuring it occupy my mind, it didn't. As distracted as I was Donnie caught on right away. Finally, I just blurted out that Ryder was pregnant, and it was mine. I expected a bunch of shit but what I got was a bunch of congratulations. We called the game and headed back to his house, and I just unloaded everything to him and much like always he has the advice that I need even though I didn't want to admit it. It was somewhere around eleven when I pulled my car into the driveway and pulled the phone from my pocket hoping that Ryder called well, I was out but I wasn't surprised that she didn't considering the way she left. I just stripped down and climbed into bed, mentally exhausted. I pulled up my text threat with her and typed.

Joey: Ry Ry I'm sorry for earlier, things got out of hand.

Ryder: Its whatever, I don't know why I thought when you came back things would just go back to normal. I was really wrong, now everything is just a mess and there is a baby going to be in the middle of it. We just need to remember this baby is the focus now.

Joey: Listen the baby of course is a focus, can you please just talk to me, let me explain earlier.

Ryder: You said enough, I'm going to go.

Joey: Ryder no...."

Ryder: Bye Joe

and just like that no more reply's, she must have turned off her phone. I got to get her to listen to me even if just a few minutes. I did the only thing I could think of. I logged into the florist's website and ordered her a dozen pink and a dozen white roses, her favorite and the card read,

Ry Ry,

I'm so sorry you're this upset, and I hate it's because of

me. Please just let me explain and after that you can tell me to go and Ill leave you alone.

Please come out to dinner tonight, I will pick you up at seven.

-Joey-

I sent it on through and had it set to be delivered first thing in the morning.

I played hell trying to fall asleep last night. She is my best friend; always have been I just don't understand on how it feels like it's turning into so much more.