Chapter 83: Darkness Befell (Part 3)

Relestia found herself face to face with a creature most unlike anything she had seen before. This... 'thing' had the most human expressions that she had ever seen on a beast. Clutching her sword tightly, she waited for it to expose a weakness. The first rule of battling an unknown enemy is to learn of its attack patterns before recklessly engaging. Most veterans can deal with attacks that are sudden and unexpected. After all, despite the huge variety of weapons, skills, or magic that are out there, those are things that had been identified before and experienced fighters could tell with one look on how to react properly. But if it is something that no one had seen before, it could become deadly real fast. Relestia knows she must force out as many of this unknown creature's moves as she could before she got hit by one of them.

The beast squares off the girl cautiously as well. It had not known anyone to resist the terrible madness it oozes. It is a gift from its god, how dare a mere mortal remain untainted?

The moment it struck, Relestia knew that she cannot hold back at all. She has no choice but to exhaust the Ki she had been saving up now.

The beast launched itself at her with its horns. There are six twisted horns on its head, two pointed upwards, two arched to the back, and two curved downwards.

Relestia felt a powerful pull towards the danger. Something is whispering in her ears that she should poke her own eyes out on the horns. The thought creeped her out and she warily jumped back in fright. This enemy will not be conquered with the blade alone. The true test will be on the mental level.

After dodging the charge, she instinctively attacked with her sword, but the thin blade bounced off the scaled feline body. Instead, the creature turned with the momentum and tried to kick her with its hooves.

The princess felt a sharp pain across her face even as the strike missed. Just the physical force it had demonstrates just how unscientific this creature is. It definitely is not something to be expected in a lower realm like Axis Mundi.

However, the attack is not merely physical. At this time, Relestia felt a swirl in the air and her body seemed to float upwards as though the ground can no longer hold her firmly.

Gravity had turned chaotic.

Then, a disarray of bad smells wafted over and disorientated her, but the worst was an enveloping dark mana that wanted to shred her to pieces.

Relestia felt the world spin as her senses were sent reeling. She caught herself quickly, and it was just in time too as tiny droplets of slime were shot at her.

When the princess saw the result on the ground where she had jumped away from, her pupils shrunk with fear. It wasn't poisonous or acidic, but still extremely dangerous because part of the wall crumbled after being slimed together with the floor.

The slime is frighteningly viscous, if she was hit by it, it is the end for her.

To handle this, Relestia did not hide her cards anymore. A shimmering translucent figure flickered into existence above her even as her eyes became sparkling pale blue. The water elements in the air turned lively. Even though this place does not have Heavenly Energies, there are still water elements around. They danced around the incarnation excitedly like children and protected Relestia.

Instantly, the chaotic mire around seemed to be purified. Not completely, but enough for her to focus.

The princess silently thanked Triteia, her contracted Greater Water Spirit. Protecting Relestia from the devil possession had left Triteia in a weakened comatose state, but the elemental reawaken after Kairos had exorcised the devil and had been steadily regaining power.

The Elementals are a peaceful race that will hardly consider showing themselves unless summoned and therefore no one realised that the princess never fought alone.