VICIOUS CANNON FODDER

On July 7, 2018, at 10:28 am, Shanghai Yusheng Hotel.

Tao Mu stepped onto the edge of the roof. It was a hot summer, but the wind from up here was strong and howled noisily. If one lowered his head slightly, one could see a long line composed of red supercars in the middle of the city of reinforced concrete, like a red dragon weaving along the winding streets to arrive at the hotel.

Tao Mu stared fixatedly at the convoy, eyes seeming to penetrate the cold red metal walls to see Shen Yu and the Shen family sitting in the wedding car.

The cell phone in his pocket kept ringing noisily. Tao Mu answered the call without any expression on his face. Da Mao's crying voice came from the phone as he pleaded: "Brother Mu, I beg you, can we think about it again, don't be so impulsive——"

"I'm not being impulsive." Tao Mu lowered his head. At this vantage point, all living beings appeared like ants under his feet, all the while the wind whistled violently in his ears. Vaguely, he could see the wedding reception and the crowds arranged down below.

"I've thought it over carefully." Tao Mu said with certainty. He curved his mouth with some amusement: "Say, what expressions will the Shen family have when they see my dead body?"

He was really curious. In order to protect an outsider like Shen Yu, the Shen family did not hesitate to place the blame on their blood related son and treat him with indifference. Would they even regret driving him out of the Shen family once they see his bloody remains.

"Brother Mu——"

Da Mao's pleading sounded in his ears, but Tao Mu ignored it: "......Speaking of which, I would like to thank you for letting me know. If it weren't for you, I would truly be fooled by that son of a bitch Zhuo Yan. I am really puzzled. What is so good about a sissy like Shen Yu? Each and every one of them act like they've been bewitched whenever they see him. Say, Zhuo Yan had been with me for three or four years, right? In order to please me, he had given Shen Yu a lot of trouble back then. So why did he suddenly act like he's so in love with that little sissy now, and even dare to play at being an undercover agent in my presence?"

"Brother Mu——"

"But it's okay. It at least lets me know that there is nothing to miss in this neurotic world." Tao Mu chuckled lightly. He really couldn't understand why everyone he cared about eventually fell in love with Shen Yu, the cuckoo in the nest.

"Why is there nothing to miss? Brother Mu, you are rich and capable and you look so handsome. There are so many good people waiting for you in this world. Why hang yourself on such a rotten tree?" (TN: basically means the same as the idiom don't insist on only taking one road to Rome). Da Mao pleaded bitterly. He really didn't understand why Tao Mu had come to this point: "Where are you, stop making trouble, okay?"

Stop making trouble?!

Tao Mu sneered: "Wang Ye, are you annoyed of me too? You also think I shouldn't fight with Shen Yu?" But why shouldn't he, after all, he was the real son of the Shen family. Everything Shen Yu had should belong to him. He just wanted to regain his own things, so that Shen Yu, heaven's favorite son (TN: slang for an unusually lucky person, or a specially privileged person), could also taste the humiliation and suffering he had suffered. How was it he had become someone guilty of great evil?

Wang Ye was taken aback. For so many years, Tao Mu had never called him by his full name during a private chat between them.

A deep anxiety arose in Wang Ye's heart: "I'm not! Don't change the subject, Tao Mu, you know I don't hate you. I won't hate you in my entire life. We are good brothers, including Xiao Pang and Feng Yuan. All of us have always been on your side."