Chapter Sixty-Nine:

I ring out a customer behind the desk, then watch as she leaves with a bag full of new books. Ender slips in beside me, wrapping an arm around my waist as he pulls me into him.

He plants a kiss on top of my shoulder, sending a shiver down my spine.

Maggie hobbles in with an armful of books that Ender quickly takes from her before they fall all over the place. "I can't believe I've got two college students working at my shop now! One day will I get to say authors?" She gives us a wink.

"Oh, this guy will have five best sellers by next year, without a doubt." I say and give Ender a hip bump.

His cheeks flush.

"Hah! I believe it. That notebook he's always scribbling in. I better be in there somewhere." Maggie says.

I peer down at the books she brought in. My eyes land on The Shining by Stephen King, and I have to know if Ender is serious about her Stephen King obsession.

Ender follows my gaze, and when he realizes what I'm looking at, he shoots me a pleading look. Wide eyes as his head shakes slowly.

"So, Maggie," I begin. "What do you think about Stephen King?"

Ender's head falls back with a groan. "No way you just did that."

Maggie's eyes perk up, her body straightening. "Stephen King? What do I think about him? Well, I think he's one of the best authors of all time. That's what I think. Want to know why?"

"I sure do." I shoot Ender a dopey grin, and he narrows his eyes at me.

"Well, for starters, all of his books have hidden meanings in them—"

I stifle a laugh as Ender picks up one of the books and pretends to hit himself over the head with it.

"The Shining, for example, is actually about Danny's sexual abuse at the hands of Jack Torrance. The book isn't about the horror. It's about the underlying messages. The evidence is all there that Jack sexually and physically abused Danny. It's even suggested that his mom, Wendy, is aware of the abuse but is in denial about it—" Maggie continues on about the parallels and suggestions throughout the novel.

Ender was very right about this, and I wonder how long she will go on for. I attempt to remain interested as she goes on about The Shining eventually transitioning into IT.

"In IT, Richie's main fear was himself because he struggled with his sexuality. Richie was in love with Eddie but was never able to express that or explore it—"

I look over at Ender, who's giving me a smug grin. I shoot him a frown and turn my focus back to Maggie so she knows I'm listening and very much interested in her Stephen King theories. She is very passionate about this, that's for sure. She's animated in the way she talks, with her arms moving dramatically and an excited look on her face.

I'm surprised when it begins to drizzle outside. Rain clouds are moving in quickly, turning the outside dark.

Thankfully, a customer pops into the store to escape the rain, and Maggie's attention switches. "Welcome in!" She greets them with enthusiasm, and Ender and I use this as our escape.

"Holy shit, you weren't joking." I giggle.

"When did I ever give off the impression that I was joking about that? You will rue this day, Auden. Rue it."

My head falls back with laughter. "Okay, I learned my lesson. Never again."

Ender looks out at the rain, then looks at me with wiggling eyebrows. "You know what this means, don't you?"

"That this may be the cure for California's ongoing drought?"

"No."

"That waiting for you is like waiting for rain in this drought—useless and disappointing?"

"Um, no."

"Okay, then what?"

His grin widens as he runs out into the rain. My eyes widen as I watch him run to his car. I pop my head out into the rain. "What are you doing, Ender Gray?"

He throws up a finger, telling me to hold on as he turns his car on, messes around with his phone, and moments later, the song Kiss Me begins playing loudly from his car speakers.

I slap a hand over my mouth as I realize what he's doing.

He stands in front of his car and extends his hand out to me. "It's time for your happy ending, Auden Rhodes."

There's no way this is real life.

With a grin on my face, I race out into the rain. It instantly soaks my clothes as it begins to come down harder. I take Ender's hand, and he spins me. "This is when I confess my undying love for you, Auden. I love you, and I hope you always know it." He places a hand behind my back and dips me.

"I can't believe you remembered our conversation from back then."

"I remember everything you've said to me." He kisses me. "Next will be the epilogue of us getting married in Henry's backyard like Father of the Bride, and people will hold sparklers as we drive away in the old-fashioned car with bottles tied to the back and the window painted with the words Just Married."

I'm laughing and dancing, and I can't believe he remembered. "I can't wait for that day."

"Neither can I." He smiles down at me.

The two of us begin to sway back and forth, my arms around his neck, as we slow dance in the rain.

Finally, two lost souls have found each other, mending one another's broken pieces. Discovering a happiness that never seemed possible. But we made it possible. We made our own happy ending.