Chapter Sixty-Five:

Despite my overkill of jokes and the fake smiles I continuously flash at Ender, like every five minutes a timer sets them off, it's obvious he knows I'm terrified as we walk into school that morning.

He knows me too well.

"I can already imagine what Faran's life is going to be like after high school." Wednesday says to us as she hikes her bag further up her arm. "PTA meetings, soccer practices, tea time with her rich gal friends as they bash other moms bleached blonde hair."

"Don't forget the hot yoga instructor or gardener that she and all her friends drool over." I add.

Wednesday points a finger at me. "Yes that she tries hopelessly to flirt with, and she can't wait for her kids to go to summer camp and Josh to be away at work so she can try to have a fling with this sexy hot gardener in hopes to escape her extremely boring life."

"Ah, it's like it's playing out before my eyes, and it's oh, so sweet." I nervously look towards their group, only to see Hunter already glaring at me from across the hall. My back stiffens.

Ender takes my hand, interlocking his fingers with mine. I force myself to look up at him and smile, continuing my conversation as I attempt to ignore the vengeful stare that bores into my back as we continue down the hall.

***

I've managed to go the entire day without running into Hunter. Mostly because Ender has met me outside all my classes, escorting me like a paid bodyguard. So far, Hunter hasn't found the opportunity to corner me. I know he's watching, waiting for a fleeting moment to pass so he can drag me someplace secluded.

Three weeks.

Three fucking weeks until graduation, and then...well hopefully, I won't see Hunter as much. Hopefully he disappears for college and I can finally be free.

Ender holds my hand as we walk towards his car. "Did people treat you okay today?" He asks me.

"Oh, yeah, I only got called a whore about a handful of times, so we're making progress!" I say with exaggerated sarcasm.

He gives me a wavering look. "I can't wait to get the fuck out of here." He grumbles. "You don't deserve the way people are treating you, Auden."

"You don't either." When we reach his car, he reaches for the handle on my door, opening it for me. I turn towards him, my back pressed against the side of the seat.

"Hey." I smile.

He chuckles and steps towards me. "Hey."

I tilt my head to look up at him. "Hi."

"Hi." His hand reaches out, gliding down the side of my neck and across my shoulder.

"I don't need anyone else; as long as I have you, I'm happy." I tell him, and I mean it. I'm never lonely when I'm with him. I'm full of happiness. I forget all my troubles.

I watch as his face softens, his eyes scan over my face. He leans in and kisses me gently.

Our happy moment doesn't last long. Hunter's voice rattles it, making my entire body go rigid at the sound. "Bro, it's really fucking pathetic to see how you follow her around like a desperate, sad puppy." He sneers.

Ender presses his forehead against mine, his jaw clenched, before he pushes away from me. He moves from behind the door so he can face Hunter. I remain behind the door, my arms folding defensively across my chest.

"Bro, I could say the same about you." Ender fires back. "Why can't you just fuck off and leave her the fuck alone?"

Hunter's jaw ticks, his eyes flashing to mine then back towards Ender. "I need to talk to her."