Chapter Thirty-Nine:

Waking up on Christmas morning, I wander down the stairs to the smell of breakfast and Henry kissing Katherine sweetly on the cheek before rushing over to the stove to flip the pancakes. In another world, if Katherine wasn't Katherine, the image would have been sweet. It would have made me happy.

Instead, it just hurts me even more. Knowing what I know and knowing how things most likely will end.

When Henry sees me, his eyes light up. "Merry Christmas, Auden! I made you some pancakes and French toast."

"Thank you." I mumble and give him a forced smile before looking over at Katherine, who doesn't acknowledge me as she brings her coffee mug to her lips.

Henry hands me a plate full of food. "I'm very thankful you two are here this Christmas." He says as we move over to the table to sit down and eat.

"Me too." I assure him.

Katherine drapes her arms around him. "Not as thankful as I am." She says in a tone that makes it sound like it's a competition.

I fight the urge to roll my eyes and eat my food silently. When we're done eating, Henry eagerly guides us into the living room, where under the tree lie a bunch of presents that are wrapped nicely in red wrapping paper. I feel bad for not getting him anything.

Katherine rushes to open her presents. She rips open boxes of clothes, jewelry, and other expensive gifts that I'm sure she begged him for. It's crazy to see her look change so much from Arizona. Here she has expensive clothes, lip injections, nails, and hair done. The complete opposite of her usual self from back home.

Henry hands me some of my boxes. I open them gingerly, thankful I got any at all. My presents consist of books, clothes, and items for my room. Just as I think I'm done, Henry stands from the couch. "I have one last gift for you, Auden." He says this happily, then hands me a small box.

I shake the box. "You didn't need to get us this much, Henry. Thank you."

"What do you think it is?" He asks.

I shake it again. "I don't know, a gift card?" I open up the box and am stunned when I stare down at a car key. My eyes dart to his. "You didn't."

"I think you have something waiting outside for you."

My mouth drops. "No freaking way." I jump up with excitement and race out into the front yard, where sitting nicely in the driveway is a shiny black Honda with a giant red bow placed on top. "This is mine?" I ask Henry, a smile splitting wide on my face.

He nods. "Yep, all yours! I know you need a car for school, and this one is safe and reliable for you."

"You're the best!" I run over and hug him tightly.

He slowly wraps his arms around me and hugs me back. "Why don't you take it for a spin?"

"Really?"

"No—" Katherine suddenly says, interrupting my happy moment. We both look over at her. She's glaring at the two of us. "Henry, you never once discussed this with me. I mean, I think I should know if you plan on getting my daughter a brand-new, expensive car."

"Kat—"

She holds up a hand. "No, I'm not comfortable with this. Auden does not deserve to have a brand-new car. It's too much responsibility, and I can't let her accept it."

My mouth drops. Anger rising in me.

"Katherine, I'm sorry I didn't okay it with you first; I should have spoken with you beforehand. But I truly think Auden is more than deserving of having a new car. She's responsible, and I trust her to be smart about it."

Katherine laughs. "Please, you don't know her better than I do. I'm her mother, and I say no. Auden is far from responsible."

"You fucking ruin everything." I snarl at her before stomping back into the house.

"Auden!" Henry calls after me as I bound up the stairs.

I hate her. I hate her. I hate her.

She won't ever let me have anything. Any sort of happiness I might have, she snatches it away. She wants the car for herself. She can't stand the fact that Henry bought me a car and not her. She thinks she's the only one deserving of having nice things.

Slamming my bedroom door shut, I crawl into bed, feeling the anger and sadness take over. Downstairs, I can hear the two of them fighting.

The sound triggers something in me and I grab my headphones and place them over my ears, trying to drown out the sound. It's starting to crumble. I can feel it. The façade she put on for him. The cracks are beginning to show. Our time here is running out.

I turn my music up all the way.

I fucking hate Christmas.

***

There's a nudge on my shoulder. Followed by another. I stir in my sleep, then my eyes pop open swiftly to see Henry standing over me. My heart leaps, and I jolt up in bed. My headphones are still on, and I push them off my ears. "What are you doing?" I ask quickly and scoot away.

His eyes widen, and he takes some steps back. "I wanted to check on you. You couldn't hear me with your headphones on. I'm sorry." He folds his arms across his chest uncomfortably. "I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't think your mother would react in that way."

I snort, my head shaking bitterly. "I knew she would. She doesn't want me to have anything."

"Auden, that's not true. Your mother loves you very much. I realize now it was inappropriate of me to buy you something so expensive without going through her first."

"Bullshit. Katherine doesn't love anyone but herself. She's never had any love for me." I bring my hand to my mouth and begin gnawing away at my fingernails.

Henry goes and takes a seat at my window seat, then leans his arms forward on his knees. "I know it may feel that way right now. I'm really sorry for upsetting you—"

"You're not listening to me." I snap. "She doesn't love me. I know she doesn't. I fucking hate her. Do you hear me? I. Hate. Her."

Henry exhales heavily. "Auden, you're angry, I understand. I'm sorry about the car; I wasn't thinking—"

"I don't give a shit about the car, Henry. It has nothing to do with that. None of this is your fault. It's her. It's always her." I seethe. "Can you leave, please?" I plead with him then lay back down on the bed, pulling the covers up to my shoulders.

He sighs and stands slowly from the window seat. "Sure, I'll let you know when dinner is ready." His voice is glum as he moves to my door.

"Can you not come into my room when I'm sleeping again?" I snap in too nasty of a voice. I'm taking my anger out on him because he's the only one here right now. I should be taking it out on Katherine. Henry didn't do anything wrong.

His face looks hurt, and he nods quietly before shutting the door behind him.

I never should have gotten excited in the first place. What was I thinking? I'm an idiot. When am I going to learn?