Chapter Thirteen:

When I walk into my last period class and see Ender sitting in the back, his head dipped downwards as he stares down at the notebook in front of him, I nearly leap with joy at the sight of him. My entire body perks up at a familiar face.

Scurrying over to the desk beside him, I announce with too much excitement, "We have a class together!" My voice is higher and louder than I intended.

"Shit," Ender jumps at my presence, his eyes darting over to me.

"Sorry," I shoot him a sheepish grin, and slide into the desk beside him, dropping my bag on top. His eyes are on me in their usual super sexy, and extremely intimidating way. I pull out a pen and click it. "I'm glad you're in this class. Besides Wednesday in my first hour, I haven't known anyone in my other classes."

His face scrunches and he closes his notebook, sliding it away from him. "I wouldn't sit by me if I were you." His voice is low, and he folds his arms across his chest tightly.

"Why?" I arch an eyebrow and turn my head towards him.

"Not many people like me here." He says flatly.

"Why? What'd you do?"

"I didn't do anything," He looks over at me. I start sniffing the air, bringing my nose closer to him, and he leans away from me. "What is that? What are you doing?" He gives me a bewildered look.

I sniff once more before leaning back in my chair and shaking my head. "Well, you don't smell bad. You actually smell really good. So, we can rule that factor out. Social skills could use some work, but don't worry, people don't normally like me either. We have that in common."

He looks me in the eye. A serious look on his face, like he's deep in thought. A warmness dumps all over me. It's like I can see the wheels and screws turning in his head, moving the puzzle around, trying to figure me out and dissect what I just said.

I feel a longing to know him. It's like I knew right away. He's been hurt too. Just like me. The world turned their back on him also. Two forgotten souls.

His serious expression switches to curiosity as he says, "I like you."

This shocks me. My eyes widen. A smile fights to dart across my face, but I force to keep it to a minimum. "I like you too." A crooked smile grows on his face. It makes my heart thud loudly. Pounding to get out and jump straight into his hand. I prop my head up with my hand and bat my lashes at him. "Does this mean you want to work together now?"

Laughter ripples through him, and my smile deepens. "Not a chance, Auden." The sound of my name rolling off his tongue sends a shiver down my spine.

I cup a hand over my ear. "Sorry, what was that? You're cutting out. I think I heard you say, yes, a million times, yes."

He shakes his head, biting back a smile.

The teacher then comes in and begins talking. Ender and I slip into a silence, the two of us exchange glances throughout class. I'll feel him looking at me, so I'll shift my eyes over to him, then we both look away, only to do that all over again.

When class comes to an end, and as he stands from his chair, shouldering himself into his backpack, I say, "So," and stand up as well.

He's directly in front of me, "So?"

"So," I repeat, and he shakes his head slowly, his eyes rolling.

"You always repeat yourself?" His lips twitch into a small smile.

I snort, and clasp my hands together, swinging my arms back and forth. "Do you want to be friends?"

"Are we in kindergarten?"

"Well, I think it would be mutually beneficial for the both of us if we became friends."

His eyebrow lifts. "That so?"

"Do you always respond in questions?"

He pulls on the straps of his backpack, his perfect lips smirking. "Do you always ask so many questions?"

I pop out a hip. "Do you ignore everyone's questions or just mine?" I shoot him a smirk back.

"Okay, you win." He moves past me, and I turn to catch up with him.

"You didn't even listen to my proposition." I tell him and walk through the door that he holds open for me.

"No, I don't want to buy your cookies." He deadpans as I walk in step beside him in the hallway.

"We both love books—"

"Now what makes you assume that?"

"We both are socially impaired—"

"Harsh."

"And we're both damaged."

This makes him stop walking. His head tilts, flicker of emotion appearing in his eyes. "You don't know anything about me, Auden." His voice is clipped.

I look at him and he looks back. "I think we're a lot alike."

A scoff escapes his mouth as he looks away from me, jaw tightening. "You have no idea what you're talking about." His eyes narrow. "And the answer's no, I prefer to be alone." With that, he continues walking, heading towards the doors to the parking lot, leaving me behind.

I swallow hard. Well, that went just fucking great.

"Don't take it personally." Faran suddenly appears beside me. "He's an asshole to everyone. Since we were kids. It's better to not poke the bear."

Raven walks up as well, her face in her phone. 

"It's too bad because he's super hot." Faran fans herself with her hand.

Raven's eyes widen as she looks behind us. "Oh, hi, Jacob."

Faran whips her head around, then when she realizes Jacob isn't actually there, turns around and slaps Raven on the arm. "Bitch." She then grips both of my shoulders. "This weekend were throwing a party for Jacob's birthday since his dumb bitch of a mom sabotaged it. You should totally come! It'll be at my house. Everyone is going."

I give her a forced smile. "Sure, yeah, thank you."

"Of course, girl. You're part of the group now. It's only a matter of time before Hunter asks you to be his girlfriend. Then we can go on double dates!" She jumps up and down with excitement. "Okay, I have cheer. Bye bitches." She blows a kiss to us before running to catch up to another girl down the hall.

Raven gives me a tight-lipped smile before nodding bye and going her separate way.

When I leave the building, and feel the hot summer sun on my skin, I replay my conversation with Ender over and over again in my mind. He doesn't want to be friends. That's fine. I respect it. I don't think I'd want to be friends with me either. Maybe it's better this way. To not get too close to anyone. Keep them at a reasonable distance. That way, they don't discover too much. That way, they don't figure out who Katherine and I really are. Where we come from. I need to stop worrying about making friends and just focus on getting through this year.

Even though, I can feel it's going to be a long year.