Chapter Forty-One:

I tug at the bottom of my black velvet skirt that has a long-sleeved matching velvet top. There's a gap in between that shows a sliver of my stomach and every few instances I'm attempting to pull it down. When I tried this on in my room, I felt pretty. The outfit felt classy and nice.

Now, as I stand outside Hunter's house, looking at the extravagant people walking up the drive, I'm quickly regretting my outfit choice. The top feels too revealing, and the skirt is too short.

Katherine pulls on her faux fur coat. She's so good at pretending that you'd never be able to tell where we came from. She pulls it off well—too well. Sometimes I find myself forgetting how hard things were before. When something becomes part of your everyday life, it's easy to forget how lucky you are to have it. How exciting it was for the first time.

I look at Katherine with vile disgust. I despise her. I want to lunge at her, scream at her, and demand to know why she is the way she is. She can blame it on God, other people, or her upbringing all she wants, but at this point in her life, it's her choice. She is this way because she chooses to be. She refuses to change or better herself.

A coy smile grows on her lips as we make our way up to the front door. Does she plan on sneaking off with George tonight? Would she dare do anything with all these people here? With Laura and Hunter in the same house? I don't doubt it. She has no remorse, no morals. She has no regard for the people involved in her chaos. The ones who will suffer because of her actions. As long as she gets what she wants.

Henry pinches my side. "Everything okay?" He asks when I look over at him.

I nod silently, then we venture into the house. Classical Christmas music is coming from the main rooms of the house. People linger around, having conversations, glancing at the gorgeous décor in the house. Henry places his hand on the small of Katherine's back as we move closer to the music. They hired a pianist and cellist who are perched in the grand living space. Their symphony moving throughout the rooms. Most of the crowd is here, and my eyes nervously scan for Hunter.

I haven't seen him since the break. Since he ended things without any warning. I feel sad being in here. I feel out of place.

Gripping my elbow, I pull my arm into my side and remain standing awkwardly beside Henry and Katherine. "Oh, there's Laura and George. Let's go say hello." Katherine says, tugging Henry along.

I narrow my eyes at the back of her head as I stay back, watching as they approach them. George's eyes hungrily look over Katherine when he sees her. They hug, and I watch as his hand slides slowly down her back. My jaw tightens with anger.

"Didn't think you'd come." Hunter's voice appears beside me, and I jump.

Looking at him, my heart aches. He looks amazing. He's in black slacks with a gray sweater. His stunning blue eyes peer down at me, his hands stuffed in his pant pockets. I force a cold expression and peer back over at Katherine and Henry. "Didn't really want to."

He leans closer to me. "You look gorgeous."

I try to not let his words soften my rage towards him. I try to remember how he's treated me the last few months. "So, with clothes on I'm not fucking unattractive? Only when I'm naked?" I snarl, reminding him of the cruel words he told me.

A breathless laugh leaves his mouth. "I never said that."

My eyes widen as I look at him in bewilderment. "Yes, you did."

"Auden," He brings his lips close to my ear. "I'm glad you're here. Can we just have a good time without fighting?"

I grit my teeth. "We're not fighting. I have nothing more to say to you." I go to walk away, but he grabs onto my hand, turning me back to him.