Chapter Sixty-One:

I carefully walk the drinks over to where the boys were, my focus being on not spilling them. Glancing up, I make sure they're all still standing there to see a girl now added to the mix. My strides become slower as I watch her throw her arms around Ender. Her hands linger on him well after their hug is over. Her eyes up on him like he's a shiny new car.

My insides turn. My mouth goes dry.

A strange jealousy forms in the pit of my stomach.

She's also stunning. And the polar opposite of me, with shiny, long blonde hair and a tanned summer glow. She has on a string bikini top with cut-off denim shorts, showing off all her curves, making me feel like a shlump in my casual attire.

My hair is frizzy and in unorganized waves. My makeup feels oily from the sun.

All the boys seem happy to see her as they welcome her in an embrace once she finally breaks away from Ender.

The nerves reappear, and I'm suddenly wondering why I'm here. I shouldn't be here. They all haven't seen Ender in so long, and I'm invading their plans.

Sam spots me and rushes over, taking two of the drinks from my hands. "Hell yeah. I had faith you could do it." He gives me a flirtatious wink.

I give him a stiff smile, my eyes looking back at Lucy. Sam follows my gaze. "That's Lucy. Don't worry, she's really chill. Come on." He motions for me to follow him back over, and my feet move in the sand.

When I reach them, I hand Ender his drink.

I feel Lucy's eyes on me as Ender leans down and kisses my forehead. "Thanks." He says.

"Going to introduce me, Gray?" She says from behind him.

"Auden, this is Lucy." He says, stepping to the side so we can shake hands.

"Hi," I say glumly.

She gives me a smile so quick I'm wondering if I saw it at all. "We should go towards the stage now so we get close spots." Lucy says and grabs Kaden's drink from his hands. "No fair, I didn't get one." She pouts and looks back at me once more before she drags the boys down to the stage.

Ender and I linger back for a moment. "So, Lucy's gorgeous." I say, and he absentmindedly shrugs. I look up at him. He's sipping from his drink. "You could've mentioned that." I tease and bump my hip into his.

He gives me a look. "Mentioned what?"

"Nothing." My face falls, and I anxiously gnaw on my straw.

"Auden," Ender says.

"Hmm?" I ask as I look forward at the stage.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"When did you and her hook up?" He's quiet. "She's the girl you fooled around with, right?"

"Yeah," he admits.

I chug some of my drink down, then inhale a sharp breath. "Well, how long ago was that?"

"Auden, it was at least two years ago now, and it was one time. We decided after that we were better off as friends, and that was that. We never even talked about it again."

"Is she on the same page?" I hear the bitterness in my voice and cringe. God. I'm so pathetic and insecure and jealous. I shake my head. "Actually, forget it." I go to walk away, but Ender quickly grips my wrist, pulling me back towards him.

His thumb moves swiftly in circles over my wrist, his eyes on mine. "Auden, we can go do something else if you're not comfortable. But I promise you, there is nothing at all between Lucy and me. It was never and will never be a thing. I love you."