Chapter Fifteen

Fall is different here. The air slowly shifts. A breeze gently blows through, like a little reminder that the season is changing. I feel it in my bones. The cool mist in the morning that rolls through. The chill of the night. How the sand isn't so hot on my feet.

The town is going all out for the season. The shops are decked out in fall stickers and décor. The streetlights have pumpkin banners dangling from them. Pumpkins are perched outside all the doors.

I've never experienced a season like this. Fall in Arizona never felt much different than summer. The air is still miserably hot. The trees stay the same. Dirt still covers the grounds.

It's always been a dream of mine to experience real seasons. To see the leaves change to vibrant shades of orange and red. To dive into a pile of them. To see snow fall and feel it land on my face, sticking to my eyelashes. My nose turns bright red from the chill. I think it's sad to spend your whole life living in the same place. Never experiencing other parts of the world. Being stuck in the same place forever.

I'm starting to really like it here, despite how hard I'm trying not to. I don't want to be let down again. To have the world I create here come crashing down. I can't get attached. I can't get too happy. It never works out. Katherine's façade is going to falter. Eventually, Henry is going to see her for what she really is, and we'll be kicked to the curb with no place to go. And I hate to admit how much I like Henry. His kindness to me is unexpected.

My weariness towards him has faded as he's broken through some of my walls. His presence has shifted from one of unease and discomfort to one of familiarity. I've come to enjoy our conversations and the way that he checks in with me, making sure I'm doing okay. Since that night, I have yet to feel threatened by him. He's respected my space and it means more to me than he'll ever know. He doesn't treat me like a child or view me as an object that he can touch and toy with. I didn't think men like him existed in the world, and I hate that Katherine is using and taking advantage of him.

Soon enough, Henry and the town will know who she really is, and when she falls, so will I. Because I'm her daughter. I'm part of her, so I must be just like her, right? Her reputation falls back on me. It always has.

I come downstairs early that afternoon after spending time getting ready for my date with Hunter, who's officially been my boyfriend now for three weeks, after he sweetly asked me after one of his football games, amidst some gorgeous lit candles and a secluded table at a fancy restaurant that he reserved for us.

Things have been perfect. No arguing. No conflicts. Everything so far has been easy and exciting. Every day I find myself smiling at the thought of him or eager for when I'll see him next. He's kind and thoughtful. He makes sure to include me and wants to see me as much as I want to see him.

My walls are breaking down and the bitterness I once felt towards moving here has gradually dissolved. The ocean has recharged me. It has given me a fresh outlook on life and myself. Maybe I do deserve a life like this. Maybe I do deserve a nice, handsome boyfriend who treats me well. Maybe everything will work out and this will be my new forever home. I don't think I ever want to leave here.

Moving into the kitchen, I grab myself a glass of water and peer out the windows overlooking the ocean. My body isn't so tense anymore. I feel at ease. A calmness washes over me every time I look out at the ocean. I pray that this happiness lasts.

My eyes catch sight of Katherine outside on the porch, a cigarette dangling from one hand while a glass of alcohol is in the other. Henry has already left for work at this time of the day. I make my way over towards the back door and open it, bringing myself outside where I'm immediately greeted by the smell of smoke. I fold my arms across my chest and look over at Katherine, who cocks her head slightly to give me a quick glance.

"Off to see your boyfriend?" She asks and takes a long drag from her cigarette.

"Bit early in the day for alcohol, isn't it?"

She scoffs, then takes a sip from her glass. "Baby, a small glass to start the day never hurt anybody."

"Says every alcoholic." I roll my eyes as she pulls her hair out of the bun and rakes her fingers through it. "Does Henry know?"

"Know what, baby?" She exhales heavily before stubbing out her cigarette and flicking it off the porch.

"That you sit and drink all day when he's gone."

Katherine stands up from the chair and places a hand on her hip, a small smirk tugging at her lips. "It doesn't really matter what Henry knows, baby, because by the time he realizes, we'll be long gone with his money."

My insides turn. "Are you high?" I hiss at her. "What is wrong with you? He'll see through your bullshit, Katherine. Henry is a good person; he doesn't deserve this."

This makes her laugh as she brings herself closer to me. I flinch as she raises her hand, then slowly tucks my hair behind my ears. "Oh, baby, you're so naïve." My eyes narrow at her as she lifts the glass and swallows down the rest of the liquor. "Henry is the same as every other guy. You think just because he finds you pretty and allows you to eat his food that he's any different? Henry is dollar signs. That's all he is, and once I have his money, we're out of here." She gives me a cruel smile before moving into the house.

Even still, she manages to shock me with her coldness. Angrily, I follow her into the house. "I like it here. I'm happy. Why do you have to ruin everything?" I snarl at her as she lets out a dramatic sigh and turns towards me once she reaches the top of the staircase. I fold my arms across my chest and look up at her. The rage steaming off me. She can't do this. Not to me. Not to Henry. This isn't fair. She can't pull the same shit here. "I'm so sick of this. Henry isn't like your other boyfriends. He's been so kind to us. You're wrong about him."

Katherine looks me up and down with a demeaning look. "They're all kind at first, baby."

"I'm going to tell him." I tell her. "I'm going to tell him the truth about everything. About your plan, how you treat me, all of it."

Her eyes glaze over, and she angrily brings her face close to mine. "Like hell you are. You ungrateful bitch." She seethes through clenched teeth. "Everything I do is for us, and honestly, I've had it up to here with the way you speak to me."

"Everything you do is for yourself!" I fire back at her. "You're full of shit."

Katherine reaches out furiously, pushing me back, nearly making me fall down the stairs as I quickly grab onto the railing to balance myself. Grabbing me again, she wraps my hair tightly around her hand, dragging me towards her. "Little whore." She says, as she pulls me down the hall by my hair. Throwing open my bedroom door, she shoves me inside, then blocks herself in the doorway to prevent me from getting past her. "If you say anything to Henry, you'll be out on your ass so fast. Do you understand me? If I were you, I'd really rethink what you just said to me."

My eyes are pooling with tears as I stare at her in disbelief. My hand going to my head.

"Consider your plans tonight cancelled, and any plans for the next week. You're not leaving this room. Have I made myself clear, baby?" She fixes her shirt, then narrows her eyes at me. "Big mistake." With that, she turns and slams my door shut behind her.

My lip trembles as I slide down onto my bedroom floor. "Fuck you!" I yell after her, then curl up into a tight ball on the floor, my body shivering.

I hate her. I hate her. I hate her.

I hope she leaves. I hope she gets the hell out of this town and leaves me behind. I want nothing to do with her.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I try not to cry. My phone vibrates in my pocket, and I pull it out to see texts from Hunter asking where I am. My stomach feels sick.

I need to get away from my mother. Her toxicity seeps into me and infects me. She's trying to ruin my life just like she's ruined her own. She's going to bring me down with her.

Quickly, I send Hunter a vague text, letting him know I can no longer hang out, before pushing my phone away from me and hugging my knees to my chest. The cold floor beneath me. The tears fighting to break free.