Chapter Forty-Three:

Everyone knows we've broken up.

I'm surprised people didn't figure it out sooner, or maybe Hunter told his friends not to tell anyone yet. But as I return to school the first day after break, it's evident that Hunter and I's breakup is the hottest gossip. People are looking at me differently. When I was with Hunter, they looked at me like they wanted to be my friend. Like I was a celebrity. Now, they look at me like they feel sorry for me. Like I'm back to being nothing without Hunter.

They look at me like they knew all along that I was never good enough for him.

The whispers, the side eyes, the stares.

Except, where do Hunter and I stand after the New Year's Eve party?

Will Faran still talk to me now that Hunter and I are broken up? Or will she ice me out like they all did to Wednesday?

The thought scares me as I walk through the door and see Hunter with his friends, all huddled around the staircase as usual.

Faran's eyes fall on me, and I give her a smile, a lift of my hand, waving it slightly at her. Will she wave me over to come hang out with them? Will things be okay with us?

She shoots me a look of disinterest back before pulling on Jacob's sleeve to whisper something to him. Jacob's eyes dart over to me with a sneer.

My stomach feels sick.

They hate me. Now that I'm no longer with Hunter, I'm nothing to them. Even Faran is tossing me aside.

Abort, abort. Get away from here.

My feet begin moving quickly as I bring myself far away from them and their harsh glares. Fuck them. A part of me always knew that if Hunter and I ever broke up, I'd lose all of them. The only reason anyone ever talked to me or acknowledged me was because of him. Now that we're done, I'm back to being invisible. Back to being a nobody.

It's isolating. It's a horrible feeling. I came here never wanting to feel that way again and here I am, back where I started.

***

"I heard the news about you and Hunter." Wednesday says to me quietly in class.

My jaw tightens. I already know today is going to feel like the longest day. Everyone is incapable of minding their own business. Why is it such a big deal that Hunter and I broke up? People are acting like it's some big scandal. I guess in a sleepy town where not much happens, something like this is newsworthy. I can only imagine how much of a scandal it would be if people found out about Katherine and George's affair.

The irritation of the day gets to me as I shoot Wednesday a look. "Yep, I'm sure you're thrilled about that."

Her eyes slowly narrow at me. "Why would I be thrilled?"

"Because," I whisper quietly so people around us don't hear. "you've been jealous and bitter about it since the day we started dating."

Wednesday scoffs as she places both her hands on the edge of the table tightly. "You're a complete moron like everyone else here if you actually think I was ever jealous of your relationship. I'm not your enemy here, Auden. Hunter is." With that, she stands from her chair and storms out of the classroom. The teacher calls her name as she exits the room.

My mouth hangs open. Guilt eats away at me. I quickly jump up too and dart out of the classroom after her. I spot Wednesday slipping into the nearby restroom and make my way towards her. I feel like a complete asshole. I shouldn't have said that. I shouldn't have taken my frustration out on her.

Inside the bathroom, Wednesday is angrily washing her hands in the sink.

"Wednesday, I'm sorry." I say.

She shoots me a glare, then reaches for a paper towel. "Why did you two break up?"

"Uh," I tuck my hair behind my ears. "It's complicated, I guess."

With a scoff, she tosses the paper towel into the trash before walking closer to me. "Did he hurt you?" She asks, and my breath hitches. Her face relaxes slightly as she folds her arms across her chest. "I've known Hunter my whole life. There's always been this side of him that I'd get a glimpse of every now and then where he'd lose his temper or be really cruel for no reason, but then he'd snap back to his usual charming self, and I'd make excuses for him or pretend it never happened. That's how it's always been. We always make excuses for these guys when we shouldn't. It's scary how long I've known him, but I've never really known him. He keeps everyone at a distance and after we started hooking up this summer, I started to see why."

She lets out a humorless laugh. My body is stiff as I nervously listen to her words, scared of what she's about to say. "We agreed the first time we hooked up that it was nothing more than that. We both just wanted to have some fun. The second time we hooked up, he was wasted, and so was I. He was super aggressive and out of nowhere started to choke me." My blood runs cold. A chill races down my spine. "I made excuses for him. I believed his bullshit apology afterwards, and we kept hooking up, and he kept hurting me. When I had enough and ended things, he didn't take it too kindly. Hence, him getting everyone to turn on me and spreading a ton of rumors about how I'm a jealous, psycho whore." She shakes her head.

"Why are you telling me all of this?" I ask her, my voice shaky.

Wednesday leans her back against the sink, pushing her hair off her shoulders, and tilts her head up towards the ceiling. "Because I'm sick of making excuses for guys like Hunter, and you should be too." She pauses. "I'd rather us be allies than have you view me as your competition. I know you got the wrong idea about me; Hunter made sure of that. I'm on your side."

For so long, I viewed Wednesday as this Godlike being who could not be harmed. Who has never experienced life the way I have. This whole time, I thought she was judging me, when really, I was judging her. She didn't make me feel insecure. I did that myself. I was wrong for listening to the whispers of Faran and Hunter and everyone around me. This isn't a girl who wanted me to fail. This is a girl who has suffered the same pain as I have. The same hurt inflected from Hunter's hands. We are alike. And I see her differently. With a new set of eyes.

"Someone tried telling me that Hunter's done this before, and I chose not to listen." I say with shame, my eyes looking down at the pale bathroom floor.

"Who else have you told?"

I hesitate. "Ender."

"Ender Gray?" She asks with surprise.

"Why does everyone say his name like there are a hundred more Ender's in this town?"

"Well, because I'm surprised you're on a friendship base with him. Ender doesn't talk to anyone. Ever." The bell rings. I jump. "Has he told you what happened?" She asks.

I shake my head. "No, and don't tell me anything; I'm waiting for him to tell me when he's ready."

We both follow each other out of the restroom. The halls are full of people moving to their next class. "Thank you." I say to her with a small smile. "I'm so sorry for what he's done to you."

"I'm sorry too." She responds. "Here, take my number. If you ever need anything, call me."

I nod and hand her my phone. She types her number in and then gives me a quick wave before disappearing to her next class.