Chapter Twelve:

The first day has me on the verge of vomiting as I pile into Hunter's car so he can drive us to school. Being thrown into a new town, a whole new environment, and now a new school is the most overwhelmed I've ever felt. It feels like I've been thrown a movie script and am forced to memorize my lines in a matter of a few days. None of this feels real. One big backdrop. All the scenes creating the movie. My whole life I've always been a side character. An extra in the background. Now, I feel myself quickly transitioning into the main character. Someone who finally gets more showtime.

I can't seem to stop squirming in the chair as I fidget with my hair, my curtain bangs are deciding to not cooperate today as they begin to curl at the ends. The moist air here is making my hair curlier than usual. I wipe under my eyes to make sure none of my mascara has smeared. Why do I care? Why am I freaking out so badly? I'm not staying. I need to keep reminding myself of this. Nothing good lasts.

After spending over an hour looking through my new clothes Katherine surprised me with, I finally settled on jean shorts and a sage green tank top with my worn-down sneakers. My fingers fidget with the bracelet on my wrist, moving it in circles.

My eyes shift from the window to the stereo. The sky is bright today. Sun in full effect. No fog or marine layer this morning. Hunter has his music on shuffle, as it assorts randomly. Throwing in some alternative with hip hop, then some relaxed beachy sounds.

He looks nice today. Light blue jeans with a white t-shirt that has Santa Cruz on the back. His thumb drums on the steering wheel to the beat, as he asks me, "Nervous?"

"Yeah, suddenly Arizona doesn't seem too bad right about now."

The hand that is drumming on the steering wheel reaches across and rests on my knee. He squeezes lightly before leaving his hand there. "It'll be fine. Maybe we'll get a class together."

"God, I hope so."

"Oh by the way, I can drive you to school every morning, no problem, but I won't be able to take you home at all. I've got football after school."

"That's fine, thank you." I look at him and feel myself relax slightly. Everything will be fine. I have him. Almost feels surreal. Having someone. To have someone to talk to, to laugh with. So far, Hunter is good company.

When we get to school, it's not that big of a campus. Located in Morro Bay. The building is larger than my school in Arizona, but still somewhat small. There's a large glass door leading into the building, and large trees surround the location. The ocean is directly in front of the school. So close the waves can be heard in the parking lot when I step out of Hunter's car.

People immediately greet Hunter as they pass by.

My eyes look all around me, taking it all in. My new high school. Feels surreal.

Hunter appears beside me and interlocks his fingers with mine, as the other arm swings his backpack over his shoulder. Wow, okay. We're doing this. I'm showing up my first day hand in hand with Hunter. What does this mean? I have no clue. What are we? Bigger mystery. But we definitely bypassed the friendship stage and jumped headfirst into the kissing, hand-holding stage. I'm not complaining.

When we walk through the doors, his group of friends are huddled around by the water fountains, peering down at their phones. Faran notices me first, her eyes lighting up, as she hurries over to me, hooking her arm with mine as she pulls me away from Hunter, who greets Jacob and Dawson.

"We're looking at our schedules. So far we don't have any classes together." Faran puffs out her bottom lip. In the daylight, her hair is a strawberry blonde.