Chapter Thirty-Two:

"I know what you're trying to do, and it isn't going to work." I hiss at Katherine once everyone's left from dinner. Henry is sound asleep on the couch after we attempted to finish the Harry Potter movies.

Katherine looks past me with a bored expression as she swirls the wine that fills her glass. Her newly manicured nails gripping it lazily. "What exactly am I trying to do, baby?" Her eyes watch Henry sleep from across the room.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about." I say through gritted teeth.

"Nope, baby, do elaborate."

"George would never go for someone like you. So don't even waste your time."

A smirk grows on her newly full lips that she just put injections in the day before. Bruising still lines the top lip. Things she never would have been able to afford before Henry. "Baby, I'm very focused on Henry right now. Very soon, I expect him to be asking for my hand in marriage, and I won't need men like George. You're being very paranoid." She then reaches out and grabs my bruised wrist, lifting my sleeve up slightly. "Tell Hunter to hold back a bit; he's making you a nervous wreck." With that, she drops my arm and moves into the living room. "He's very, very cute, by the way. You did good, baby."

I yank my sleeve back down, my eyes glaring after her as she bends down and kisses Henry, stirring him slightly. She can't fool me. I won't let her hurt Henry. Because I know I'm not wrong this time. I know he's different than the rest. He's not Zeppelin or BooBoo or the countless other shitty boyfriends of Katherine. He's kind, and he has no idea who he's actually let into his home.

*** 

Hunter's hand is on my back, holding me close to him as we stand in the hallway before class, conversing with his friends. He's in a good mood today. Yet, I still feel on edge because I know how quickly that can change.

I've known Jacob and Dawson for months now—two of Hunter's closest friends—and still, I have yet to have a genuine conversation with them. The two of them have never shown an interest in me, both being very cold since the beginning. But I'm okay with it, as I have no desire to know them either.

Jacob's mouth twists into a smirk as he rocks forward on the balls of his feet, his eyes surprisingly falling on me. "I've got a question for you, Auden." He then says.

My eyebrows scrunch in confusion. "Okay?"

"Would you stay with Hunter if you found out he cheated on you?"

"Bro, fuck off." Hunter shoves at Jacob's shoulder.

My insides turn.

Jacob's hands raise in the air, palms pointing towards me. "Hypothetical question, of course."

Except, it doesn't feel hypothetical. Why would he even ask me that? I shift feet nervously. My mouth becoming very dry.

Jacob eyes me, waiting for my response. "Would you stay, yes or no?"

Hunter lets out a groan, but I can feel his eyes on me, expecting my response as well. I don't like this question. I don't like even imagining it, hypothetical or not. It makes me feel sick. I lick my lips. "No, I wouldn't. I would leave him."

I feel Hunter's hand fall from my back, and I quickly look up at him. His jaw is tense.

"Damn, so you'd for sure leave him?" Jacob makes a psh sound like that's not at all the answer he was expecting.

My eyes narrow at him. "Are you sure this is just hypothetical?" I glance back up at Hunter, who's shooting Jacob a look that's hard to read.

"Oh, definitely. Just hypothetical." Jacob snorts, and Hunter shoves him once more before Faran comes bounding over, hooking her arm with Jacob's before shooting me a wide smile.

I try to smile back, but it falls. They all continue talking around me, but a fog has filled my brain. It's hard to focus on anything besides my thoughts. Did Hunter cheat on me, and do they all know besides me? Are they all laughing about it behind my back? Talking about how pathetic I am. Would Hunter do that?

When the bell rings, it makes me jump.

"I'll walk you to class." Hunter says in my ear, his arm going behind my back, leading me towards my class.

My body is stiff. My heart thudding in my chest. "Hunter, why would Jacob ask me something like that?"

Hunter lets out a huff. "It was just a question, Auden."

"Are you sure?"

Hunter's eyes shoot down to me. "The fuck does that mean?"

I swallow hard. "You wouldn't ever cheat on me...would you?"

A bitter laugh escapes his throat, and he steps away from me. He rubs a hand roughly along his jaw. "The fact that you even need to ask me that in the first place really pisses me off. Do you not trust me?"

I've seen how he is with Raven. How they hang out alone, and I'm expected to just be okay with it. They flirt in front of my face all the time, making me a jealous mess. I don't know if I can trust Hunter. I don't think I can. But there's no way I'm admitting that to him. "No, I do."

"Bullshit." He snaps. "All the shit I do for you, and you have the audacity to even question me. Don't talk to me for the rest of the day."

Panic. Dread. It fills my stomach like I'm sinking below the surface. Water is filling my lungs. I hate when he does this. I fumble with my words as he begins walking away from me. "No, Hunter—"

"I'm ignoring you; don't fucking talk to me."

"Hunter, I do trust you, I do." I say quickly as I try to keep up with him.

But he dives for the staircase, taking two at a time, leaving me behind without another word. My breathing is quick. I want to scream.

How can I hate someone as much as I love them? How can I want to hurt them as much as I want to make them happy? He's so awful, so cruel, and I'm absolutely terrified of him. And yet, I still try so hard to please him.

He knows how much it upsets me when he ignores me. Pretending I'm not there. Ignoring any texts or calls. Like I'm completely invisible until he decides my punishment is over. He knows how to get to me, how to make me insane. Hunter completely fucks with my head, and I have no idea how to not let it get to me so much.