Chapter Twenty-Two:

I'm very aware of myself at the pumpkin patch with Hunter, Faran, and Jacob. More than usual. I try to keep quiet and let Hunter do most of the talking, so I don't embarrass us with my jokes. I'm trying to be more normal, more casual, like he said. Plus, Faran does enough talking for everyone.

I look at her mouth as she talks, wondering how she gets a breath in with how quickly words fall from her mouth. When I talk this much, I just sound like a stuttering, rambling mess. Yet, when she does it, it makes you feel excited to be included in her conversation. Like somehow every word she says holds power to it.

"God, all the dust and dirt at pumpkin patches give me the worst allergies. Am I breaking out in hives? My skin is so itchy. I feel like I am." She begins itching aggressively at the skin on her arms. "Look at all these gross kids. I never want kids. Do you?" She asks.

I lick my lips, look over at Hunter who is standing beside me with his hand interlocked with mine. He's talking to Jacob. Turning my attention back to Faran, I nod silently.

Her eyes widen. "You do? What is the appeal? I mean, look at that kid over there." She points directly at this messy kid in front of us. "He's been picking his nose for the past hour and wiping it on every surface here. Plus, I bet he stinks."

Smiling, I shrug, forcing any jokes back down inside. "They've got some charm." I keep my sentences short. "Maybe not that one though." I want to smack a hand over my mouth. My eyes dart over to Hunter, who thankfully didn't hear the cringy joke leave my mouth.

Faran laughs loudly. "Definitely not that one," she says, hooking arms with me. "Let's go to the haunted corn maze!" She announces, dragging us along by my arm.

A group of kids go running by, screaming loudly. The sound of a chainsaw comes from inside the maze. The Halloween signature song is playing at the entrance. "I love spooky season!" Faran squeals, then lets go of my arm so she can cling to Jacob, ushering him inside first.

"You scared?" I ask Hunter and wiggle my eyebrows at him.

"No," he replies flatly.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I would've rather it just been us today." He mumbles.

I'm caught off guard as a man leaps from the corner. A scream leaves my mouth and I wrap my arms tightly around Hunter. He drapes an arm around my shoulders as we follow close behind Faran and Jacob through the maze. "I'm sorry." I tell him. "I just want them to like me."

"You care too much," he grumbles with a roll of his eyes.

The corn maze leads us to a slaughterhouse with chainsaws hanging from the ceiling and fake human bodies tossed on cutting boards. A man in a butcher's outfit appears with a large knife in his hand. I bury my face in Hunter's chest as he guides me through the room until we make it out and back into the corn field.

"This is the best thing ever." Faran claps her hands happily. "Hunter, how are you not scared? Even Jacob is acting like a chicken."

"Well, you keep screaming directly in my ear. Of course it's going to scare me." Jacob ruffles her hair and she swats him away.

"I've got my girl here." Hunter responds to Faran's question as he pulls me close and kisses the top of my head.

"Aw, how sweet." Faran coos.

"I can sacrifice her to get away." Hunter finishes, and I shoot my head up to look at him, and he scrunches his nose at me.

"And they say chivalry is dead." I poke his side.

"Only the best for you." He smirks just as an evil clown pops out of the corn, making Hunter flinch away.

We all burst out laughing at his response, and finally make our way out of the corn maze to safety. Most of the little kids are beginning to leave as the moonlight shines down on us. A cold breeze blows by, kicking up some fallen leaves. Shivering, I burrow myself into Hunter's side as we head over to the food trucks. As October settles in, the colder nights stake their claim.