◆Chapter 67◇

It's been such a lively day, Miyuki thought, looking at her friends in their respective seats. A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips as she noticed a few of them were still as energetic as ever and chatting with each other. She yawned again.

Now that the adrenaline was wearing off, the toll of the Provisional licensing exam was starting to have its effect on her body, she realized. She needed to sit down fast before she fell asleep on her feet.

All the seats were full, except for the one next to Katsuki. The explosive boy glanced up when he heard footsteps nearing him and noticed Miyuki making her way over to him. He tried sneaking a glance at her expression, but quickly looked away as she reached up to place her duffel bag in the overhead compartment. Minoru furtively ogled her chest and the ash-blonde, noticing this, glared at the miniature hero, causing him to shrink away immediately.

"Excuse me, Firecracker," she mumbled, and he pulled back his legs to allow her access to the window seat. "Thanks."

Miyuki exhaled quietly, feeling the tension in her muscles give away at once as she settled down. She was definitely a lot more exhausted than she thought because, as soon as the bus started rolling onto the road, another yawn escaped her lips.

Katsuki glanced at her from the corner of his vision. She reached into her bag and pulled out a book (unsurprisingly) then her phone (a bit more unexpected) -

Hm?

He watched curiously as she put both of those items down and her fingers traced lightly the two trinkets attached to her bag. Katsuki averted his gaze quickly.

"I haven't lost it," she spoke up quietly, catching his attention. He turned his head to look at her and the back of his neck flushed as he saw her holding the Mirko trinket in her palm.

He looked away just as she turned to look at him, and gruffly responded, "Yeah, I can see that."

What was she telling him that for? Was she expecting some kind of prize or something for it?

A smile made its way onto her face at his reaction.

"I never thanked you, right?" She asked him. "I've been wondering, actually..." Her eyes became half-lidded as she tilted her head slightly to look at him again. "Did you do it because you felt sorry for me - because I gave everything I had to the old guy...?"

"I'm not explaining my actions to you," he said quietly, to her surprise. "It's none of your business, anyway." She looked at him quizzically before her expression eased.

"You're really so... weird..."

His eyes darted to her and he opened his mouth to throw back a sharp retort -

Seriously? He asked himself, the tension building in his chest gradually dissipating as he looked at her sleeping face. Wisps of black and white hair dangled in front of her eyes and her lips were parted. He failed to find a crease of worry or exhaustion upon her brow, nor did he see traces of a smile or a smirk on her face.

She looked at peace - as if all in the world was right...

Like you're one to talk.

The hand supporting her head slackened slowly. His hand shot out instinctively and he caught her head just as it was about to smack against the window. Slowly, so as not to wake her up, he positioned Miyuki's head against his shoulder. A blush crawled up his neck as he did this, but it was necessary. If she hit her head and woke up, it would be to his annoyance.

His hand accidentally grazed the back of her hair and he noticed the familiar strands now ending a little ways above her shoulder. Immediately, his mind veered back to the training camp and the feeling of that emo guy's hands around his neck, pulling him back into the portal with him just as that psychopath tried to do the same with her. His expression darkened as he thought of the feeling that gripped at that moment, the fear he felt at the thought of her being taken right into the hands of that zombie bastard, hand delivered by her brother.