◆Chapter 2◇

[Reiko Junior High-End of School day]

Thankfully, it was spring and the classroom was rather warm. The floorboards were unaffected, although the same could not be said for Miyuki.

After watching the hopes for her future be swept away by a mop, she struggled to pay attention in class, although she tried her best. She still had to pass the exams, right? To get into a good school; a good, ordinary school where she would study a strong elective, start a strong career-

Her pencil snapped. There was now a dense line crossing through her notes.

"That'll be all for today. Have a good evening, everyone," said their homeroom teacher. Slowly, everyone began packing up their belongings, but Miyuki was slower than most, not because of her waning spirits, although they were a major contributor, but because her mind was trapped in itself.

She had to start thinking of a backup plan. She was good with computers, right? She knew their inner workings and everything. If that didn't work out, she could always look into a journalism course. She was at the top of her English class, so there was that, too.

Miyuki put down her bag and hastily opened it to retrieve her notebook. She needed to get this down, quick, while the idea was still there. The year had just begun, true, but with what just happened... she couldn't afford to waste a second.

There was a gentle tinkling as she unearthed the brown journal. The sound reminded her of a fairy's wings. When she checked, thinking there might actually be a creature of that nature amongst her belongings, she found it was only her All Might trinket. It was lightly hitting the zipper, creating the gentle sound.

Her heart ached slightly and her eyes pricked with the memory of tears so bountifully shed just a few hours ago.

"Shizuka, you're still here? You ought to be going," said her homeroom teacher, checking the time. "You might miss the train."

"R-right." She picked up her things again.

Mikuyi paused at the door's threshold, hands tightly clutching the strap of her book bag.

"Sensei..." She turned around to her homeroom teacher. "Is there...some way, by any chance, you still have a handout for me...?"

The man adjusted his glasses and, to her dismay, shook his head.

"I see. Thank you."

She hung her head as she left.

This time, whatever flickering hope she had was blown out. A cold chill travelled down her spine and her grip tightened.

Was this actually... really happening?

"Shizuka." Her teacher was calling her from the classroom. "Please come here a moment."