2: Chapter 4

I'm stuck standing outside of the door to the potion's classroom. A part of me is terrified for this reunion. The last time I was in a great battle, the last time I lost that much control over my own power, was when.. Professor Fig died. Today was already a very, very emotional day. My eyes hadn't fully recovered from my conversation with Felix, when I feel them stinging up again.

Sharp is still here. I remind myself.

I wipe my tears on my sleeves once more, and take a deep breath. I creak open the door to the classroom and walk inside. I hear Sharp grunting and mumbling to himself, along with the clinging of glass. I round the corner to find him moving around some vials of ingredients, deep in thought. He isn't aware of my presence.

I clear my throat. "Professor Sharp.." I begin to say.

He slowly stands up, setting the ingredients down on the table beside him. "Y/n.." He straightens. "You're awake, good. And Nurse Blainey gave you a clean bill of health?"

I'm caught off guard by this, knowing I did not check in with Blainey at all after Sebastian and I, well.. I clear my throat again. "Yes. All good to go!" I fake a smile and he raises an eyebrow at me.

"Good." There's a silence between us. There are so many things I think we both feel, so many things we want to say to each other. We don't know how to express any of them. Sharp has been hardened by working for the Ministry in the past. He doesn't have any kind of softness to offer. And for me, well.. the last time I felt like this was with Professor Fig, who was the closest thing I ever had to a father. He was a father to me.

"Y/n, I must tell you, the Ministry has been in close contact with me after what happened that night." Shit. I'm now terrified for what he has to say, knowing I threw myself under the bus displaying that much power in front of all those aurors. "They've been very concerned, with the amount of magic you now possess. They've considered many different options to.. handle this. Some of which are far too torturous for me to allow myself to repeat to you."

I grow completely uneasy at his words now but he continues on. "However, the aurors that were present that night actually testified on your behalf. Along with myself, Professor Weasley, and Professor Hecat. We were able to share with them the training and improvement you have made with me leading up to that point. Although it was dangerous and a risky choice to make, it was a brave one that has spared the lives of many. They agreed to allow you and Felix, both, to stay here and continuing working with me."

I'm instantly relieved at the last part. "Under one condition." I look him in the eyes. "Your brother is of age, though under the agreement with the ministry he must finish out the year training with me. This also means that he would normally be appointed your guardian, being the only remaining family you have as an adult. Unfortunately the ministry has decided against that due to the state of both of your ancient magics, and Felix still finishing his final year at Hogwarts. They've agreed that he is unfit to properly care for you."

"So what does this mean?" I ask him worriedly.

"Well, again, there were several options considered." Sharp walks across the room to face me. "Y/n, Professor Fig meant a great deal to all of us. I know how much he especially meant to you. I also know that no one would ever be able to fill his shoes, live up to the role he had in your life." Sharp pauses.

"If you are alright with it, I would like to become your legal guardian. You can stay here at Hogwarts. We will continue training, and it will appease the ministry. I know I'm a mean old grump, but I have grown rather fond of you. If you would agree, I can help you.. and I would also like to take care of you. Until you have the ability to fully do so yourself." I stand still, in disbelief of what Professor Sharp is asking of me. "Well, will it be a yes or no?" He asks impatiently.

I jump towards him and hug him. He's right, no one could ever come close to Fig. He would never be Fig. Because he's Sharp. And he holds his own special place in my heart, as well. He wraps one arm loosely around my shoulders and pats my head stiffly with his other hand. I laugh and pull away from him.

"I would like that, Professor Sharp. I agree." I stand before him again, clasping my hands together. With Professor Fig, we talked about every thought we had in grave detail with each other. I absolutely loved our conversations. With Professor Sharp, there is a comfortable silence. We understand what each other is thinking, and feeling, without saying anything at all. I think we both prefer it this way.

"This does not mean that you get a free pass in my classroom, or any others for that matter. You are to study hard, and work hard for the grades you receive." He stiffens up.

"Yes, Professor Sharp."

"Very well. Run along now." He waves a dismissal at me and I nod, leaving his classroom with a huge smile on my face. I'm full of happiness in this moment. The one person I want to share it with, share everything with, is waiting for me in our little temporary home here at Hogwarts.

I run all the way to the Slytherin common room to meet with Sebastian.