2: Chapter 1

I'm not sure where I am, what time it is. I'm not sure what is real and what isn't. My consciousness has been slipping from one reality to the next. Sometimes I'm with Professor Fig. We're in his office sitting, he's telling me stories about his and Miriam's lives together. He goes into grave detail, making these grand expeditions come to life for me. We sit together, drinking tea, laughing. "Y/n.." Fig begins to say.

Then suddenly blackness washes over the image and paints a new one of a room, no, a home. Sebastian walks through the front door, he's much older. There are fine lines hugging the corners of his eyes, he has a 5 o'clock shadow prickling his face, and his frame is thicker- manlier, underneath his clothing.

He sets down a crate of produce he was holding onto a kitchen table, and wraps his hands around my waist, pulling me in for a kiss. His face is rough against mine from the short hair, but the scratchiness feels good against my skin. Familiar. The kiss is one I can only describe as a love that has matured. We're interrupted by a little girl pushing between our legs, she has wavy brown hair and faint freckles dotted along her nose and cheekbones, with my eyes. Sebastian leans down and picks her up. He throws her over his shoulder and starts spinning around, causing them to both laugh with each other. He puts her down and walks back over to me, cupping my face with both hands. "Y/n.." He whispers.

This dream fades as fast as the last, and suddenly I'm younger than I can even remember back to. I'm swinging from a tree and there's a boy pushing behind me. He has dark hair and grey eyes- Felix. "Higher!" I yell at him in a pip-squeak voice. He laughs and pushes me harder, too hard, causing me to lose my balance and I fall to the ground hard.

Propping myself up, I realize I have a cut on my arm and I start crying. The feeling of being that young, being hurt, it's terrifying. You don't understand what is happening to your body or if you will be alright. Felix rushes towards me and kneels before me, taking my arm into his hand. "Shh, it's just a cut. You'll be okay." He says pulling me in for a hug. In my moment of fear, relief washes over me, here in my brother's arms. "It's okay, y/n.."

At the sound of my name, the dream slips away just like the rest. I'm left in darkness.

Until I hear my name repeated, once again.

"Y/n.. I love you." My eyes instantly open, the bright sunlight cascading into the room burning them. I slowly turn my head to the side, it's stiff, feeling like I haven't moved in ages.

Soft auburn hair tickles my arm as their head is down, forehead resting beside me. Sebastian.

"I love you too." My throat is raw and my voice is scratchy, but I manage to get the words out. Sebastian's head shoots up.

"You're awake.." he stares at me for a moment in disbelief. "You're awake!" He lets out one of the largest grins I've ever seen splayed across his perfectly freckled face. His eyes are red and puffy, like he had been crying for hours. Maybe even days.

He grabs the sides of my face, the same way he did in my dreaming, the same way he always does. And starts kissing me everywhere, my forehead, mouth, nose, cheeks, chin even. Then he scoops me into his arms, leaning over to hug me tightly without lifting me too far off the bed.

"Sebastian, I can't.."

"Can't breathe, right." He laughs nervously and sets me down, then pulls the seat he had as close to my bed as it will possibly reach. "I've missed you so much, my love." He rubs soothing strokes around the side of my face.

"What happened?" My voice creaked out. "Did it work?"

"Yeah, it worked alright." He said slightly annoyed by the thought. "You blasted them all. The only ones that remained were at Xaiden's estate. Which the aurors that the ministry sent took care of. That was the dumbest, most reckless thing you could've done. You scared me more than I ever have been in my life. But-" His voice breaks, then softens. "It was brave, what you did. And I don't blame you. You're so selfless, you'd do anything to protect those around you. To protect the whole world. I just want to be able to protect you too." I reach my hand up to cup his.

"I know. I just saw that we were losing. We truly were outnumbered and I couldn't let anyone else get hurt.. I'm sorry, Sebastian." Tears begin forming in my own eyes.

"Don't apologize. You're here with me now. I'll make you pay for it later." He smirks at me.

"Felix.."

"He's alright. He was in much better shape than you were after. He stayed in here resting up for about a day. Anne has been keeping him company, they've grown rather close." Sebastian huffs out the last word in annoyance, which brings a smile to my lips.

"I'm surprised you didn't try to kick his ass." I say to him, he gives me an offended look.

"Excuse me, try? I would, there wouldn't be any try." Oh that cocky attitude that I love. It's so good to hear it right now. He turns serious again. "No, I didn't. I wanted to believe me. But I know it's not what you would've wanted, and you're so strong willed it wouldn't have mattered if he tried to stop you or not. You would've done it all by yourself."

"I would have." I smile, saying it to him matter of factly.

He sighs. "He does care about you, though. I've learned that for myself first hand since staying in here with you. He's come to check on you often, he's talked to you. It reminds me of myself when Anne first became ill."

"I know. That he cares, I mean. I had this dream, maybe it was a memory. We were both kids and I had hurt myself. He held me and reassured me everything would be okay. I think I could feel his presence here when I was out." He squeezes my hand. "How long have I been out, anyways?"

"A few.. weeks." He says softly, as to not startle me. It doesn't work.

"Weeks!? But that would mean.."

"Yeah, the holiday break is next week." He finishes for me.

"I don't even have presents picked out!" I yell in a panic. Sebastian stares at me wide-eyed then rolls his head back and laughs hysterically.

"You just battled dark wizards, detonated ancient magic with your brother, and fell into a coma for weeks. And you're worried about presents for the holidays?"

I smile back at him. "Well, I guess when you put it like that."

"Come here, you." Sebastian stands, scooping down low to pick me up into his arms and plops down on the hospital bed with me resting against him between his legs. Such a sign of physical intimacy would be frowned upon, but neither of us really care in this moment.

I lean my head back against his chest. "No falling asleep now, you just woke up. And there are a few others that would like to see you as well."