Chapter 9

Sebastian POV

Fuck.

I jump off of Highwing, practically crashing onto the ground. But my landing is the least of my worries. I run over to y/n. She's unconscious.

Fuck. I kneel down beside her. "Y/n!" I yell, hoping she'll open those beautiful eyes and come back to me. I lay my head on her chest and sigh as I hear her still breathing, I'm relieved. Very gently I scoop her head up with my hand, supporting her back with my other hand, and embrace her into my arms. I hold her as tight as I can.

"I just got you back. Please wake up, come back to me." I've lost so much in my life. I can't lose her, not her. I hear muffles coming from my chest. I pull back, releasing her only enough to look at her face but still holding her close to me. "You're awake. What is it? What's wrong?"

She reaches her hand up and hits my chest, "I said get off me, I can't breathe!" I laugh, tears forming in my eyes. But I won't let them fall, I can't let her see me weak. I want to be the strong one for her, she deserves that and so much more. She doesn't have to hold the weight of this burden all alone anymore.

Her arm gives up and falls limp beside her. She's still feeling weak.

"Move, boy!" I hear running footsteps behind me, when I look up I'm met with Professor Sharp's face. He's shoving me off of y/n while lowering her back down to the ground. "Let's have a proper look at you, foolish girl." I manage to stand up as Sharp is looking over her, wand in hand. He's muttering some spells I can't quite make out, or recognize either. I hear shuffling behind me and turn my head to see Ominis standing several feet away.

I trust y/n in the hands of Professor Sharp, and slowly make my way to Ominis. He doesn't have his wand out, he's just staring into the dark forest.

"Sebastian I.. I'm so sorry. I let her leave. I just let her. She didn't want me to say anything, I didn't think anything of it. She's always okay, I didn't think this would happen." I reach out my hand and clasp Ominis' shoulder, putting an end to his rambling. It's my way of saying "it's okay". Ominis releases a breath, calming down. Then he continues, "I don't understand what's going on. What happened to her?"

I look back to y/n, answering Professor Sharp's questions- likely making sure she's not concussed or something worse. "I'm not sure if she even knows, Ominis." I walk over and hover behind Professor Sharp listening to their conversation.

"When did this start happening?" He asked.

"Shortly after that day.." I can tell she doesn't want to complete the sentence. That was the day that Professor Fig died. Her dearest mentor. I know how much he meant to her.

"And it's been getting worse? You haven't been able to control it?" She nodded, "Every day." She responds. Every damn day. And there I was pestering her every day to look at me, talk to me. I'm instantly humbled.

"Alright, let's get you up. We need to get back to the castle. Tomorrow, we get to work. You have a lot of magic building inside of you, yes. But there are ways to grow with it, instead of letting it take control of you like this.." he stands up and surveys the area around us. The remaining chips of the encampment. "Bloody hell.. we certainly have our work cut out for us."

Y/n is trying to stand up, I rush to her side as she starts to collapse and support her weight. Professor Sharp comes to her other side. "I don't think she's in well enough shape to apparate. Sallow-" he looks at me over her shoulders. "I am trusting you to get her back safely. I'll take this one with me." He nods at Ominis. "Take the bird. " I normally would have laughed at his insult to Highwing. "I will." There is certainty in my voice. I would give my life to protect her.

He helps me walk y/n over to Highwing. I mount her and Sharp helps me lift and pull y/n up onto Highwing's back, in front of me. "You fly straight to the castle. Get her to the dungeons, I will be waiting for you in my class. Do not let a single soul see you, you're good at that. Put it to use. GO!" He yells. As Highwing flaps her wings to depart, I see him grab Ominis by the arm and disappear.

She leans back against me, and looks up at my face. "Sebastian.."

"Shh. It's okay, I'm right here." I kiss her forehead and she turns back around.

I fly Highwing to the secret cave underneath Hogwarts. I learned about it when I was a 3rd year. We would dare each other to come down here, terrified that merpeople would be lurking in the waters waiting for us. I hold onto y/n as tight as I can, making our way through the castle. We reach the dungeons and rush her into Professor Sharps class.

"Sit her down." I walk her to the chair at Professor Sharp's desk. He is at his own potions station, working with his wand. Multiple items and ingredients are all floating through the air, mixing into the potion. A pinch here, a pour there. It's a sight to behold. Sharp is an extremely talented wizard. The scars on his face are evidence of the battles he's faced, the wisdom and power he holds. I find comfort in knowing y/n will have him to help her through this..

"I've got it!" Ominis shouts from across the room, wand casting onto one of the ingredient shelves. He rushes back to Sharp, who doesn't say anything back but takes the ingredient, it looks like dittany leaves.

I feel useless just standing there. "What can I do?" I ask.

"You? Stay with her, stay by her side." He says, not looking away once from his work. That's exactly where I want to be, with her. Always. I kneel down beside the chair she's sitting in. She looks exhausted, but she's still here and coherent. She slowly reaches up her arm and gently places her hand on my right cheek. I cover it with my own, leaning into the caress. Then I take her hand off my face and press my mouth against it to kiss her delicate fingers. I don't let go of it.

"Alright, here we go." Professor Sharp walks over to us, I drop her hand and stand up. I'm embarrassed to have let such an intimate moment be seen by a professor, but a part of me really doesn't give a damn. He reaches out to her with a large vial in hand. It's a dark green, almost black. She takes it and starts sipping.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Think of it as a wiggenweld potion strong enough for three fully grown trolls." He responds, not taking his eyes off y/n as she consumes every last drop. He takes the vial from her, and we wait. She jolts up, color returning to her face and her dulled eyes becoming vibrant emeralds once again.