Chapter 5

I'm hesitant as I step down into the common room from the passageway to my dorm, expecting to find Sebastian there waiting for me. It's not that I don't want to see him, I just need some space to clear my head. I enjoy the quiet walk to potions class, everyone is already in their respectable classrooms. I know I'll get an earful about showing up late, but compared to the last 24 hours, that would be nothing.

I am eager to see my friends, though. I can count on them to take my mind off the deeper, darker thoughts dwelling inside of me. I take a breath, and open the door as slowly and quietly as I can hoping to go unnoticed. With my back facing towards the classroom as I quietly shut the door, Professor Sharp's voice startles me from behind. "Ah, Ms. y/ln, how nice of you to join us."

I suck in a breath and slowly turn around. Everyone's eyes are on me as I scan the room. I notice Sebastian at his station, a smile tugging at his lips.

"Curious that you and Sebastian both arrive late for class this morning." Says Imelda, practically shouting across the classroom. This causes commotion as some are whispering to others, Poppy giggling with Natty, and Garreth looking back and forth between Sebastian and I. I dare glance at Sebastian again and he's obviously putting on his best I don't care, I'm Sebastian Sallow show. His arms are crossed and he looks completely unbothered by it all.

"Jealous, Imelda?" He says, there's that cocky attitude again.

"Oh in your dreams, Sallow." Imelda responds with a face of disgust. This causes an eruption of laughter throughout the class. I even laugh to myself.

"Quiet. We've had enough excitement. Everyone get back to your brewing." Professor Sharp looks directly at me, "y/n, a word please."

I bite my lip and make my way towards his desk. Here it is. Here's my earful. I start to think of all the ways I will be punished for my tardiness, detention? Scrubbing out the cauldrons?

"Yes, Professor Sharp?" I say, now standing directly in front of where he is sitting.

"It's highly unusual for you to be late to my class. Care to explain?" He says clearly disapproving, and he's right. In all my time here I have never missed my classes or been late by one minute. After last night, the power I unleashed.. it seems as though I have far greater concerns right now than my impeccable punctuality. Though I'm glad for this moment, presenting the perfect opportunity to bring up the subject of my growing magic.

"Actually, Professor" I lower my voice, "there is something that I need to-" I'm cut off when a loud explosion erupts from the opposite end of the class. I don't even have to turn around to know that Garreth was taking advantage entirely too much of Sharp's ingredients, concocting who knows what. But I whip my head around towards him when the smell hits me- something entirely rancid.

Everyone starts making noises of disgust, I catch a glimpse of Sebastian who is waving the air in front of him but also laughing hysterically. For a second everything around me freezes, as I stare at his smile. I've missed that smile so much. How could I be so stupid to have avoided it for this long? Months that I missed laughing with him, at him, and getting to see that smile.. stare into those gorgeous eyes.. I think I'm feeling the ancient magic humming inside me- but wait, no, that's not magic. This is different. It's warm. It's fluttering in my stomach like a butterfly and making my heart beat faster.

I snap back to reality as the scent grows stronger, now making my eyes water. The students are beginning to run out of the classroom, some coughing, some laughing. I instinctively grab my nose and look back at Professor Sharp "I'm afraid we will have to continue this conversation another time." He says, standing up. "Everyone out now, go along, class is dismissed. Weasley! Not so fast." I rush out of the classroom. Damnit Garreth.

As I run out, I see Sebastian leaning against a nearby wall hands in his pockets. He looks so good standing like that. And I think he knows it too. Sebastian had filled out more over the summer, his shoulders were broader and he had grown just a few inches. But enough so that my face could perfectly bury into his chest when I hugged him. My mind flashed to last night when I had sprung into his arms and he embraced me in return. I loved the way his arms had felt wrapped around me- I felt safe.

"Y/n? Hello, you in there?" I blink a few times and realize he is now directly in front of me, slightly bent down so our eyes are at level with each other. He's so close in front of me. I can't help it when I look down at his lips. I wonder what they would feel like pressed against mine. What in Merlin's beard am I doing?

"Yes. I mean yeah. That was absolutely revolting." I flash a grin, forcing myself to speak and snap out of the spell he put me in. I try to continue the subject to come back down to earth. "I think Garreth diverted Sharp's attention enough for him to forget about my tardiness. For now."

"Were you able to speak to him? About.. last night?"

"No, I was not. Some other time. I think I'll manage until then." I really don't believe myself when I say that, I wonder if Sebastian thinks the same. I think about what I promised him this morning. I won't shut you out.

"Would you like to get some fresh air with me, before our next class? I think we could both use it after that." I gesture to the potions class, where I can hear Sharp yelling at Garreth to clean up his mess.

"Shall we, my charge?" Sebastian motions his hand forward. I roll my eyes at his pet name for me, bringing me back to the first time I ever visited Hogsmeade with him. It was such an innocent time then, for us both. I push past him and he chuckles. I can't help the grin that forms widely on my face. I missed his arrogance and playfulness.