Chapter 32

Sebastian and I rip through the air on our brooms heading towards Cragcroft. The trip is going to take us a bit longer, as we're having to travel to the South. My mind is still reeling from what Felix confided in me. Is it really possible that he also wields the ancient magic, the very one humming in my veins right now as we rush to Anne. I suppose I only know what the keepers had told me about Isadora, teaching and testing me. There was still much I didn't know about it. Where had it come from before them? Were there really others..? There had to be. I push the thought out of my head as Sebastian and I fly over Marunweem to enter Cragcroftshire.

Anne was right, about the dark wizards infiltrating the hamlet. Sebastian and I are only flying near the outskirts. I had agreed with him to not fly into danger or let anyone spot me unintentionally. As much as I wanted to investigate and learn first hand what they're up to. As I'm scanning the hamlet in the far distance, I see black smoke rising from various chimneys- at least from the homes that remain. Some are burnt or destroyed, leaving nothing but rubbles of brick in their place. On the outskirts I see various dead livestock, being eaten by Threstrals. Ones they have clearly possessed with dark magic.

"Bloody hell.." I hear Sebastian mutter, I hadn't realized we had slowed our pace to take in the view. "Y/n, we need to keep going." I keep my eyes glued to the disturbing picture before us, my body filling with hatred. My magic steams through me in response. Not yet, I tell it. It settles down, but still flows through me like a vicious river. We work in unison now, coincide. It listens to me and vice versa. "Y/N!" Sebastian yells at me, snapping me out of my internal fit of rage. I turn my head back and take off again, without saying a word. Sebastian follows swiftly and comes up to my side.

We cross into Cragcroftshire and Sebastian and I stop when we finally reach Cragcroft. We're taking in the area below us. "Any idea where she might be?"

"Not at all." He says in a low voice, deep in thought. By some chance of sheer luck, we spot Anne's owl flying into the hamlet. "There! Let's go." Sebastian takes off following the owl, leading us to the outskirts of Cragcroft. Before us is a tiny hut, big enough for one person, with smoke flowing out of the chimney. A sign of life. Sebastian and I quickly dismount our brooms, him throwing his on the ground too worried to care about anything else.

He's about ready to bust through the front door when I throw my arm before him. "Sebastian, wait!" His eyes turn to me, they're burning with aggravation.

"What!?" My own eyes widen in response. He gains his composure, taking a deep breath. "I'm sorry y/n, what is it? We're right here, I finally have her back. Can we please go?" He begs of me.

"Sebastian, I know how eager you are to see Anne. But she did not leave you on the best of terms. Perhaps it might be startling for you to barge into her home, demanding we take her to Hogwarts. She has not seen you since.." I trail off, hopeful that I won't have to continue my sentence.

"You're right.. Alright, you go. But please, try to hurry. She's here, y/n. She's right here." His eyes drift towards the front door of the hut.

"I shall do my best." I say as I slowly turn, and walk towards the front door. I knock gently, once. No answer, I knock twice. I turn my head to look at Sebastian who is pacing and fumbling with his wand, staring back at me.

"One minute, please. Agh!" I can hear Anne from the other side of the door crying in pain. Sebastian's eyes widen and I mouth to him 'Hold on.' He only nods his head back at me.

The door opens before me and Anne answers, she looks much the same as she did those months ago. Which is still visibly ill, but I take it as a good sign that she has not been declining. Her mouth drops and her eyes widen, "Y/n?" I nod at her, smiling. I didn't have much of a chance to get to know her last year. But there is a connection between us.