【 ♛ 71: 𝐼𝑠 𝑇ℎ𝑖𝑠 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐸𝑛𝑑?

°•. ✿ .•°
📌 MEMPHIS
TW: physicality between spouses, this may be very triggering but i swear this is the very last scene in the whole book that'll be like this
1973
MISTAKES PRESENT
✿°。                          ✿°
   .❀。• *₊°。 ❀°

LOVE IS A DANGEROUS THING.

It was four am.

He came stumbling through the doors of Graceland with the sickly smell of sweet perfume permeating from off of him, mumbling angrily to himself incoherently.

He smoked, he drank, he fucked, and yet the hole in his chest remained unfulfilled.

The lights were dimmed in the mansion, you could hear a pin drop.

Colette was sat idly on the living room couch clutching a mug full of tea to her chest — out of the corner of her eye, she spotted Elvis standing in the doorway unsteadily.

Her gut was set on fire when she fully set her eyes on him and her primal fight or flight response was triggered.

Charlie snitched.

When she looked passed the very prominent hickeys on his neck, Elvis was red in the face, redder than she's ever seen him before — eyes set in a sharp tuned glare her way and his aura radiated aggression.

But Colette didn't let herself falter.

"You have a good night?"

"Great night." he replied shortly — his voice was low, scarily low...and the feeling in her gut only heightened. "Met a coupl'a nice girls."

"Let me guess, they weren't above the age of twenty-three?"

"Mm." he hums, rolling his jaw.

There was a stand-still — just the two of them staring at each other in vexation.

RING RING RING!

Colette's eyes slowly trailed from off of him before reaching forward to pick up the phone.

"Hello?" she answered. She then turned to Elvis with the phone outstretched. "It's for you."

His jaw clenched even harder in his mouth before he stalked over intimidatingly slow.

With each step, her anxiety only intensified and the second his slender fingers wrapped around the neck of the telephone, she got up and hastily walked around him.

"What?" she heard him say into the receiver.

Colette's heart was pounding wildly in her chest, eardrums being assaulted by the beat as she tried to take steady breaths.

Her feet guided her into the kitchen and she busied herself with refilling her mug with the hot water. 

She could hear him yelling into the telephone and she swears to god she's never heard him screaming in so much hostility.

Part of her wanted to grab her kids and get the hell out of there.

How do things go downhill so damn fast?